First day without a cigarette!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First day without a cigarette!

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

First day without a cigarette!

If I could make it through tonight's shift at work without smoking, I can easily make it the rest of the week. It's always been a clutch of mine when I get pissed at work to run outside and have a smoke and my actual position in the restaurant is pretty much being the guy who fixes every issue that comes up, dealing with the guests and the servers. Tonight we were understaffed and slammed, it was non-stop problems for 6 hours straight and several times throughout the shift I wanted to bum a smoke from someone and smoke the shit out of it but last night, when I had my last cigarette, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't.

I've not kept up a lot of the promises I've made to myself, so this is an important one to keep for a multitude of reasons. Health, obviously, but as a way to show myself that I'm done with bullshitting myself.

I think once I hit this Friday, I'll be in the clear. A few people suggested the patch or gum but the nicotine isn't really why I enjoy smoking, it's because the physical feeling of the smoke going into my throat and lungs. Thankfully, I still have the other thing I smoke to help with that.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SLXT
    Rig: Randall RG80

Hell yeah, man! Just keep at it, the first two weeks are rough but after that it does get easier. I smoked for 27 years (that blows my mind just typing it), going on 3 and a 1/2 years since I stopped smoking and I can't imagine how I'd feel if I hadn't. I stopped by vaping - by any means, though - whatever it takes to get you off those damn things...I watched my grandmother who had smoked her entire adult life suffer the last twenty years she spent on this earth, have friends who now have emphysema...no good comes from those damn things.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Right on, man, thanks.

Thankfully, I only picked up the habit 9-10 years ago. I was 25 at that point, so I was a late bloomer in comparison to most I know. The cravings got pretty tough over night but being that I have a long history of self-sabotage and self-inflicted bullshit I've caused myself, there's obviously a part of me that enjoys self-torture, but I've been putting a spin on that and using it to my advantage to improve a lot of things about my life that I wasn't fond of before. I was just watching a Vai interview the other day where he spoke about stepping outside your comfort zone to achieve something more and while it was in relation to music/guitar, I can see how that can be applied to any aspect of your life and this is certainly one of them!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Best of luck man. If you break down and need a cig, do yourself a huge favor and make it an e-Cig instead. They sell them at like every gas station now.

Once you start feeling better, you'll never ever want to go back to feeling as lousy as you do as a smoker. You aren't supposed to feel lethargic and out of breath all the time, or winded if you dash up a flight of stairs. Fuck that shit.

Also, spend lots of money on fitness shit and join us all on Strava, for inspiration and motivation.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Once you start feeling better, you'll never ever want to go back to feeling as lousy as you do as a smoker. You aren't supposed to feel lethargic and out of breath all the time, or winded if you dash up a flight of stairs. Fuck that shit.
    This. People don't realize that they can become acclimated to almost anything. Quitting smoking was how I realized that excessive coughing and phlegm production, getting winded on the stairs, and having problems waking up and moving in the morning were all things I got used to putting up with. Good on you for quitting, Rev, just stick with it!
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Nobody likes a quitter!

/runs
    Argbadh - RHLC©

good luck, bro!

word of advice, is be careful about just subbing the smoke for a "smoke " . I found my usuage went through the roof cause I was missing the smoke hit and that leads to lower inhibitions and the potential to fall back on the ciggy.

Chris' suggestion about having one of those throwaway e-cig vape for emergency is on point.
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Good luck man! You will have missteps, but don't beat yourself up if you smoke one or two cigarettes and don't make it on your first try. Simply trying to quit is a huge first step.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace