2018 "Get in Shape" Workout Goals Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 "Get in Shape" Workout Goals Thread

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

In the last 3 months, I've lost 30 pounds (13 kg). It's been a lot of work, but it's going well.

New goal: To lose 30 more pounds by May 1st.

The real irony is that I was doing insane intense exercise for the first 6 months of 2017, but I lost almost no weight at all ("insane intense exercise" meaning running 6-8 miles every day 4-6 days a week, weight lifting, etc.). But strangely enough, my medium intensity exercise and more particular diet that I've been doing for the past few months has been having excellent results. Like I said, I've lost 30 pounds in 3 months so far. Just... very bizarre. Strikes me as odd. But now I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS 7
    MA: Breedlove Stage

I've decided to stop sucking physically this year.

1) Get back to a 405lb. bench. I'm back into the 1k lb. club, but I'm still well below my 1rm's from about 5 years ago.
    2) Sign up for the Bataan Death March when it rolls around again.
    3) Stop drinking soda. I stopped drinking beer, but I've basically replaced it with soda and it's even worse.
    Find Me In The Sky
    Coming soon!

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    The real irony is that I was doing insane intense exercise for the first 6 months of 2017, but I lost almost no weight at all ("insane intense exercise" meaning running 6-8 miles every day 4-6 days a week, weight lifting, etc.). But strangely enough, my medium intensity exercise and more particular diet that I've been doing for the past few months has been having excellent results. Like I said, I've lost 30 pounds in 3 months so far. Just... very bizarre. Strikes me as odd. But now I know.
    How much of that was due to change in body compensation, vs ddecline in weight? Muscle is heavier than fat, so if you're burning fat but building muscle, your weight won't really fluctuate, but you'll look visibly different and be in better cardio heath.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    How much of that was due to change in body compensation, vs ddecline in weight? Muscle is heavier than fat, so if you're burning fat but building muscle, your weight won't really fluctuate, but you'll look visibly different and be in better cardio heath.
    That's probably true since I was doing a lot of both cardio and weight exercises, but my goal was to lose weight, which I did, but nowhere remotely near my goal. I did notice an improvement in how I looked, though. It's also definitely possible that I've maintained the muscle I gained at that time, and with my current regimen, I've been able to utilize that to lose fat.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I decided to start running to work some days a week. Let's see how that goes. The weather is finally also going to be reasonably nice for a week or two so I'll also start cycling to work again.

Last year I posted a list of goals to achieve and didn't reach any of those so I might do that again.

So some goals could be

Sub 45 10k (I've run 45:18 before)
    Sub 20 5k (20:34 is the best I've done)
    10 x 80 kg bench press (or get back to my max ever 100 kg)
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Late to the thread, was busy having babies.

I worked out a shitload last year, hope to keep it up this year. At my cardio peak three seasons ago I was around 180-ish, but it's impossible to maintain that much exercise and a healthy relationship with my wife. I hover around 195-ish these days. I work out about 5-6 hours a week with a hilarious amount of consistency, and I haven't had a single cardio-free workout week (per Strava) in over 4 years.

As far as the usual goals, I'd still like to hit 20/20 on a road bike (20mph average for 20 miles on a route that isn't tailored to make it easier) but to be honest these days I just don't really enjoy road cycling as much as I used to. I love a good long MTB or gravel grind though, so once again all of my goals are time based instead of distance. I will still ride the road bike a bunch, but just as a necessary evil to burn calories and for the odd metric/century with bros, but 9 times out of 10 I'd rather be riding on dirt.

Last year: 3,636 miles and 351 hours of cardio, with a 5k PR of 24:06 and 10k PR of 52:05.
    This year: My son was born 5 days ago, so I'm shooting for a modest 3000 miles / 250 hours. Limited schedule for a few months but once he's in daycare in April I'll have a good amount of time to get out each day.

My knees don't agree with running anything further than a 10k these days so I probably won't even bother trying to best those PRs. As long as I can keep my 5k pace around 8:30 and 10k pace around 9:30 I'm content. The wife and I plan to do a few team triathlons this year too, so while I won't be doing the swimming portion (she's fast as hell in the water), I'll be training with her which is always cool. (Swimming any sort of competitive distance is way harder than I thought it would be, holy shit.)

As far as health stuff, I'm trying to make a conscious effort to avoid unnecessary salt where I can. I somehow got into the habit of throwing a dash of salt on my meals before I even take a bite to see if they need it, and my new years resolution was to stop doing that shit.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    (Swimming any sort of competitive distance is way harder than I thought it would be, holy shit.)
    Tell me about it! Last time I swam a longer distance (probably something like 400 m altogether which isn't very long for a good swimmer) I almost passed out in the shower afterwards.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    As far as health stuff, I'm trying to make a conscious effort to avoid unnecessary salt where I can. I somehow got into the habit of throwing a dash of salt on my meals before I even take a bite to see if they need it, and my new years resolution was to stop doing that shit.
    The wife and I decided the same thing last year, which led to her growing fresh herbs with her Aerogardens. You won't miss salt if you find other flavors to replace it with.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.