Page 1 of 48 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 "Get in Shape" Workout Goals Thread

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

2018 "Get in Shape" Workout Goals Thread

Goals

1) Drop back to my normal weight/shape before spring rather than spend spring getting back in shape.
    2) Compete in a couple enduros or super Ds
    3) Attempt a marathon
    4) Ride an average of 2-3 hrs a day
    5) Build 3 new downhills and one XC trail
    6) Buy a long travel bike and a more fun hardtail.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Ahh yeah, it's that time again.

1) I basically drank my way through the first year of the Trump presidency, so I'm up 10 pounds on the year, and 20 from my lows 2 years ago mid-summer. I want to get down at least 10-15 pounds.
    2) I've got all my usual cycling goals, and will probably up my 3k target back to 3500 (which I came within maybe 150 miles of hitting anyway).
    3) The big new goal this year - a buddy of mine is putting together a team for the 2018 Ragnar Reach the Beach, and I've agreed to run with him. So, this is going to be the year I become a runner, or decide once and for all I hate running. I haven't yet, but will be signing up for a mid-May half marathon as part of my training (since, all in, I'll be running 15-20 miles as part of the Ragnar, across a handful of legs).
    4) The complicating factor and the reason I haven't signed up yet - I'm having shoulder surgery in one week to fix a torn labrum at the point where my bicep connects to the labrum. I assume I'll be able to ride on a trainer with my hands off the bars or one hand in a sling almost immediately after surgery, and should be able to run on a treadmill within a couple months of surgery. I'll need to confirm that, though. I'm 6 months from contact support recovery, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to ride outdoors on the road by spring. Otherwise, training indoors for the B2VT will be a bitch.
    5) I guess a final goal is not tearing anything else that will require surgery.

Also, I'll add a 2019 goal: https://everesting.cc/the-rules/
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    If you want to suffer together, I have a buddy that puts together a supported Everesting ride that does repeats of the first hill on Skyline Drive (about six miles long, and an easy average grade of 6%). I could be persuaded to take a crack at it, and then we could get stupid drunk.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

This year I really need to get some success on the body front. As every year, I gained ~3 kg in December, and usually I lose them until February.

Goal: lose 10 kg/22 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    If you want to suffer together, I have a buddy that puts together a supported Everesting ride that does repeats of the first hill on Skyline Drive (about six miles long, and an easy average grade of 6%). I could be persuaded to take a crack at it, and then we could get stupid drunk.
    You mean, have someone pour one drink down your parched throat? Because god knows I wouldn't have the strength to raise my own glass after that.

I'm probably going to do something up here (I'm considering Greylock) but if that changes I'll let you know.

ME: Dean MLX
    Rig: Blackstar ID TVP 150

just bought a treadmill. it arrived today actually. I'd say I can't wait to get on it and lose 100 pounds but I totally can. Now its going to be a guilty thing lol. "Well you spent the money so you better fucking use it."

ME: Parker Fly Mojo
    Rig: Orange OR50

So 2017 will take some beating in biking terms for me. 10,000 miles and 700+ hours on the bike, and riding in some amazing places. I have some plans for later in 2018 that might top it though with any luck...
    My goals for this year so far are to get back in shape, had a pretty lazy Nov/Dec and had the flu for 10 days and now it almost feels like I'm back to square one. Need to get back into the routine of healthier eating and riding hard more regularly. Ideally want to get back to the fitness I had back in July but that might take a while as that's the fittest and lightest I think I've ever been
    Another goal this year is to try and get out on the MTB more, though it really is difficult here without a car.
    I'm not going to set any mileage/hours goals though as riding should also be fun, and after last year I've kinda ticked that box

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I only know one rider who's done this and he's an absolute machine (dude did a 100km/13,600m Audax last year in 4 days, and he's done Paris-Brest-Paris etc), and he said it was grim. Though he did do it on one of the tougher medium length climbs around here which goes up to 15-16% in places. Think it took him like 19 hours or so.

Serious fair play to you if you manage it though! It's definitely not for me though
    www.facebook.com/theconstruct
    Post metal, for fans of ISIS, Cult of Luna, Neurosis, Gojira etc

Yeah, you had a KILLER year, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ror3h View Post
    I only know one rider who's done this and he's an absolute machine (dude did a 100km/13,600m Audax last year in 4 days, and he's done Paris-Brest-Paris etc), and he said it was grim. Though he did do it on one of the tougher medium length climbs around here which goes up to 15-16% in places. Think it took him like 19 hours or so.

Serious fair play to you if you manage it though! It's definitely not for me though
    Yeah, being totally honest, I don't know if I CAN do this, but I want to put some serious training time into trying. The hardest ride of my life was either the D2R2 180k or the Formidable Massachusetts 160 miler, and both were in the 14-16k feet of climbing. To do this, I'd have to basically double that elevation gain over a comparable distance, and at the finish line of both I didn't have all that much in the tank.

I've been eyeing Greylock's south ascent - the north is steeper and starts from a lower point so it has more vertical gain - the calculator says you can do it in 9 ascents over 160 miles, whereas the south side would take 9.9 (I'd just do 10) over probably closer to 180-190, I forget. However, the south side is also a (slightly) less punishing climb, and has the added advantage that no one has logged a n effort on that segment on the Everesting Hall of Fame, while someone did do the North face (in 20 hours, lol). I've never done pure hill repeats on it, but I have done up-the-north, down-the-south, up-the-south, down-the-north as an out and back from the parking lot at the base, and that was fucking brutal. A proper attempt would be in the ballpark of 5x that.

So, this summer, I'll be happy with my progress if I can either do 2 laps of that double ascent, or 4-5x up the south side in a single ride. That's still going to suck, though, and at that point I may decide it's not worth pursuing.