Metal Guitarist Forums banner

A Re Introduction, Sorry It's Been So Long Since Last Log In...

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  abbiehoffman_Jr.gtr 
#1 ·
Hey Metal Guitarist, my name's Matty O', and I haven't been able to log in here since I joined, which is in my profile, it was a really long time ago. I updated my profile with the better gear I've gotten since then, so I hope you guys like that. I picked this user name I have for two reasons. One, Mr. Abbie Hoffman was a revolutionary from my hometown of Worcester Mass, where Godsmack also is from, and the Jr., is to show off my meager weak abilities to play guitar, compared to basically everyone else here probably lol!

Worcester had two kinds of kids when I was growing up, the jocks, and the musicians. I completely suck at all sports so I didn't like the jocks, so I ended up hanging out with the musicians. One day at a band practice somebody asked "Hey man, can you sing? None of us want to and we suck at it." So I did and did mostly ok. However when I started to write lyrics for songs on paper, all of Worcester was like "Dude, do you know what chords are in this?" I didn't so they said, "Go learn something and come back." So I had to start guitar. The singing thing was when I was 15, when everything started, and then I started guitar at 18. I've been singing and playing at the same time since 21. None of this is special, and neither am I, but it's how it was.

I suck at skipping strings, I'm no way a shredder, and I can't fret tap or do pinch harmonics or sweep even if somebody has a gun to my head, in that case I will just die. I also kinda feel like those techniques don't fit my Jr. level music anyway, so I'm cool with that. I basically hammer on or pull off as fast as I can on one or two strings in key in the scale, and some slow bends once in a while. It works for my stuff or other easy to play music. As far as I know I'm at least not copying anyone so at least it's kinda my own style, but sometimes I'll quote a few notes of someone if it's a song about them, which I only have two of. So far only one of those is approved. If the other is not that part will be chopped off in the release version. I'm working on that one now with my friend from England I found in the Metallica board, one Tony Beggs of England who is the most wicked awesome music friend I've ever made and is the hugest help ever, but I don't know his user name here yet. Maybe when I find that out I'll mention that in the replies, providing there are any. I think in terms of this forum that's the only one of my songs that would maybe fit in here. I'm kinda scared of posting any of my links here yet because I'm really sure they will get viciously made fun of as will I for ever after and I'm not ready for that right now. Maybe if somebody asks nice I'll do so in a replay to this, if this even gets any replies at all.

Lastly after 17 years of fighting and struggling in Hollywood I at last ran out of places for me and it gave me the boot, so I'm closer to my family in Memphis Tennessee now. If any of you live here please respond in a reply! I've been here since October of last year and so far I'm finding it's a lot harder to form a band or find anybody to jam with here than it was in Hollywood for whatever reasons I don't know, so I would greatly love to meet anyone from there that's here, even if all they're offering is snarky jokes and insults, as the introduction sticky thread mentioned.

Ok well thanks a lot for reading what kids these days call a book long post, and I'll make sure to wear my raincoat gloves and mask next time I check back in case any interesting things are thrown at me in reward for this post. Thanks a lot, Matty O'

See less See more
#3 ·
It's all Tony's fault lol! He's the ultimate no cost great tone guitar guy lol! The Agile has an Entwhistle hdn in the bridge. The SLO, is kind of a mongrel custom. It was originally a Jet City 5012 C, but Tony sent me the schematic to make it a SLO, and I had a guy in LA named Jens Kruse do the modification. He's great! He works on Zakk Wylde's stuff and many others. Tony is a fucking genius! He builds amps and guitars! Anything I know about how to make a guitar sound good, I learned from him. However, the schematic he sent, was how to modify a Jet City something or other 22H, not the 5012 C, so I really don't know what I have lmao! Although I'm sure Jens was smart enough to compensate for the error. Also it's got all JJ tubes in it, and an Eminence Legend v1216 speaker. It sounds fucking brutal!!! I just wish I was a better player with that kind of tone, but with that kind of tone even I can sound good lol!

#6 ·
About playing an Agile 3000 with an hdn in the bridge through a custom SLO combo

I don't know why I had to put a title on that. I would rather not be that pretentious. Oh well. Hey Leon, you know, as far as the build quality, and the tone wood used, and the neck through construction, plus the excellent fret board, and with the hdn in the bridge, it sound really great through the SLO, and I've heard of expensive guitars having bad build quality sometimes. This has been my main and only guitar since 2015. It's never been set up but it's intonation is great, it's action is great, and I think the hdn helps to make the SLO sound really great. Sure you can get an even better guitar than this for more money, so what? If it's in tune like it is and sounding like it is on the current song ToeKnee and I are working on, which it is, I have nothing but praise for this guitar and I'm proud it's my only guitar right now. I would much rather end up with another guitar player that showed up with his own killer guitar and rig to practice than spend $2,000 or more on a fancy guitar right now. This'll do just fine thanks. This is actually my second Agile. ToeKnee recommended them, and the SLO and all it's parts, and I am totally grateful and well pleased.

#8 ·
Oh wow cool Leon! I used to be a Fender guy and I actually still love Telecasters for blues, but I ended up getting more into the whole Gibson ish thing because I liked playing them better in terms of playability which may not be an actual word lol, but for cleans and blues Fender anything is fantastic, and somehow Iron Maiden and Yngwie found a way to get a metal tone out of a strat, so I'm sure it's possible, but Gibson styles are just easier for me to play and I'm overall pretty lazy in terms of how much work I want to have to do to get good results out of the guitar lol! I'm sure the Axe effects going through the Mesa sounds great. For me though I'm really glad I got hooked on the Soldano sound thanks to ToeKnee. There's something about it that I like a little bit more than all the best tones out there except maybe for the Diezals that Rammstein are using. As for modeling I use the 11 rack and got some killer new tones for it. I haven't even loaded them all, there's still 7 more to try. I know everybody who's anybody just uses Axe Efx but that's just too much for me right now. I'm really happy with the 11 rack's new sounds, or the killer re amp tone ToeKnee is getting me with his SLO and I also love the custom SLO combo I have thanks to him. It's plenty good enough for what I'm doing so I really wouldn't need to get an Axe Efx, but break a leg and keep playing /,,/ /,,/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.