Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Budget 5-string bass options

4K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Iron1 
#1 ·
Since I've been infected with the 7-string virus, it seems I need a 5-string bass to record with now. While I could have my 4-string set up to downtune, I'd rather just get a 5-string. But, I don't really "play bass" so much as I just write lines with it and record them for my songs. While I'd love to have a Rickenbacker ( #CliffEmAll! ) or Fender P-bass, that's overkill for someone who only picks it up when recording, and I need to go the cheap route so I can have cash for more important things.

I came across a gorgeous Dean Edge 5-string on a local garage sale site, loaded with EMG HZ pups (don't know much about them) that seems like a solid deal.

I've also been looking at Ibanez SRx05s (x=2,3,4), but figured I'd get some input before I move in any particular direction. And, selling my GSR200 first has to play into this...

So, what do you recommend for a nice playing, budget friendly metal 5-string bass? :james:

#2 ·
Keeping an eye on this, since I'm also considering getting a 5 string at the moment.

The Ibanez SR series and the Sterling Sting Ray 5 are the two I'm looking at.

I came across a gorgeous Dean Edge 5-string on a local garage sale site, loaded with EMG HZ pups (don't know much about them) that seems like a solid deal.
If they're anything like the EMG HZ guitar pickups, they'll be mediocre at best.

#3 ·
Keeping an eye on this, since I'm also considering getting a 5 string at the moment.

The Ibanez SR series and the Sterling Sting Ray 5 are the two I'm looking at.
Haven't looked at the Sterling Sting Ray. Will have to check one out...

If they're anything like the EMG HZ guitar pickups, they'll be mediocre at best.
Kinda what I figured...

#5 ·
SR505 and 605s are good, although I prefer the sounds of the EMG loaded Schecters (which do modern metal really well, even the HZ loaded ones). I would recommend you play any Squier before buying, as they are often inconsistent.

#17 ·
I would recommend you play any Squier before buying, as they are often inconsistent.
Quoted for truth. Squiers get a lot of praise from 'guitarists that need to play bass for recording' and I've played a few that were passable, if not pretty good, but there are some DUDS out there. The first bass I ever owned was a Squier P-bass and it was serviceable but the neck looked like Robin Hood's bow. My friend also bought a 5-string jazz that had flat spots all over the neck and sounded like wet cardboard. Play before you buy.

As far as budget basses, I've owned some pretty alright stuff and my main bass for ~10 years ended up being a Music-Yo era Kramer with the 'Dual Rail' pickups I got from GC used for barely over $100. Neck stayed perfectly flat, clean fretwork and the pickups (soapbar passives) have always been very serviceable. I've also got a late 90s Hamer P-bass that I bought for ~$120 that's held it's own, also perfectly straight neck all these years and the pickups are also serviceable, although I'm not the biggest fan of exposed poles on anything you'll be playing very aggressively.

#12 ·
You never actually mentioned your budget, just that you want something "budget friendly". What budget? If you need one for a year or more get something used and decent. Go on Talkbass and look around, search on "budget bass" but remember going in there is no such thing as a "bass for metal". If you need something short term and better than decent, borrow one from a friend.

#13 ·
Go on Talkbass and look around, search on "budget bass" but remember going in there is no such thing as a "bass for metal".
As a guitarist who sometimes plays bass, I think that's the main thing that confuses me as well - P and J basses, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Warwick, etc. all have very different pickup types, but all seem to be useable for metal. It's not like with guitar where you can make general statements like "humbuckers are better for metal" and be reasonably accurate. It seems each pickup type has its own "voice", and it's mainly down to which you prefer, not necessarily matching the instrument to a particular style.

Then again, I could be massively overthinking this, and there could be a JBA5150 equivalent for basses too... :rofl:

#15 ·
Honestly, I've mostly been tracking with a Squier 5-string P bass with J-bass electronics. It's a super cheap bass... but actually doesn't sound half bad. At some point I should probably buy something nicer, but for now, if it ain't broke...

#29 ·
The $2600 Warwicks are the German-built models. You want the Rockbass line.
FTFY

Not that I'm the greatest fan of the firm.

Listing says this is a Squire, but the headstock doesn't look like one. Unless, it's an older HM. Anyone know if it is from the pic?

I remember Squiers with that headstock, yes. Early 90s, if memory serves correctly.

There's an example of a guitar with that shape.

Discussion here: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/squier-hm-bass-anyone-have-one-besides-me.216886/

#23 ·
Yeah, the Rockbass is their "entry level" instrument, but absolutely phenomenal value for money. Mine is really solidly built, quality hardware, a height adjustable nut and the same pickups and preamp as their custom models. It's just made in Korea and £800 new.

#25 ·
Mine is great, aside from two really high frets that make even remotely low action impossible without awful fret buzz below a few sections of the neck. I need to get it in to a local shop to have that addressed, because otherwise it's a good-sounding, versatile bass. The coil tap on the humbuckers is awesome.

#24 ·
To be clear, I think my favorite "plug in and go" low-cost metal bass sound is a set of EMG soapbars (either HZs or real ones) and the 2- or 3-band EQ they use. You can get them on cheap instruments (my Schecter C-4 Elite from the early '00s, for example) and they sound great; plenty of clarity and presence, good low end, and enough sound shaping to get you where you might want to go (though you can just set and forget too).

#27 ·
Pointy Headstock Squire?

Listing says this is a Squire, but the headstock doesn't look like one. Unless, it's an older HM. Anyone know if it is from the pic?

#28 ·
I got an esp ltd f-series neckthrough bass, and that worked for me. previously had james' rockbass which i didn't get on with, but he does.

Basically, i think you need to go to a local store, try a load out, and find out which brand/setup suits your idea of what a bass should sound like more.

Or go with Lozek's description, he knows his shit to levels of detail I can't fathom, and he's been producing killer mixes of the material we're getting recorded, so listen to him :D

#30 ·
A Spector Legend would also be a good bass in your price range. Spectors tend to cut through the mix like butter so it depends on if you want that or not. Since you are in the US it shouldn't be that hard to buy one for under $400. I believe Mattayus uses one still for his tracking.

To be fair, I've been primarily a bassist for the last 12 years and the only ones I play and own now are Spectors, so I may be slightly biased. I've also owned a couple decent Squiers and one that the neck WANTED to be a bow no matter what I did with the truss rod.

#31 ·
A Spector Legend would also be a good bass in your price range. Spectors tend to cut through the mix like butter so it depends on if you want that or not. Since you are in the US it shouldn't be that hard to buy one for under $400. I believe Mattayus uses one still for his tracking.

To be fair, I've been primarily a bassist for the last 12 years and the only ones I play and own now are Spectors, so I may be slightly biased. I've also owned a couple decent Squiers and one that the neck WANTED to be a bow no matter what I did with the truss rod.
This mirrors my comment of "anything with EMGs and an active EQ" :lol:

#34 · (Edited)
Found a Ibby SR3/405 (couldn't tell which) in a pawn shop yesterday. This poor thing was so beat up and the neck was curved like a hurting bow. Was hard to tell if it had potential or not due to the poor condition. Major scrapes in the body, the bridge looked like someone used it as a hammer at some point. Mismatched strings on it. I could literally slide my fingers under the strings in the 16+ fret range and the (heavily corroded) saddles had barely any room to adjust lower. They were asking $150 for it too. Crazy.

Then I went to another Pawn Shop and they had a Gio SR206 they priced at $300. It was dark wood w/clear coat - actually really pretty - but had some heavy wear between the pickups where some folks rest their left thumb. Obviously had a lot of mileage on it. Can't get over what those two pawn shops were asking for these things. Based on the condition of the SR, it wasn't worth more than $50 and Sweetwater sells the GSR206 BRAND NEW for $300... (just checked GC and the local one, less than 5 miles from the Pawn Shop has the exact same one, brand new for $299 GSR206 @ GC )

Both were a bit of a turn-off for the SR line. And, I'm an Ibanez guy...

#35 ·
Went to lunch Wednesday with a buddy who's a better bass player than I'll ever be and he started recommending a Squire HM. Turns out his wife bought him one before they got married when it was new (early 90s) and he's had it ever since. He primarily plays higher end Ibanez SRs (has a 606 and 600, I think) but said he's never found a five string he enjoys more than the HM.

After listening to him rave, and knowing we have similar tastes, I pulled the trigger on the Squire HM yesterday that I posted upstream. Should have it early next week. Thanks for all the input.

#36 ·
If you like the Ibanez - and many bassists do - take a look at the Ibanez GSR250SM series. They are just under US$300.00 new. If you go used, then your options increase greatly. If you have some good music stores near you, definitely check out their used section.

For something more traditional, take a look at the Squier Affinity Jazz 5-string. Still in your budget new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.