Budget 5-string bass options - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Budget 5-string bass options

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    A Spector Legend would also be a good bass in your price range. Spectors tend to cut through the mix like butter so it depends on if you want that or not. Since you are in the US it shouldn't be that hard to buy one for under $400. I believe Mattayus uses one still for his tracking.

To be fair, I've been primarily a bassist for the last 12 years and the only ones I play and own now are Spectors, so I may be slightly biased. I've also owned a couple decent Squiers and one that the neck WANTED to be a bow no matter what I did with the truss rod.
    Yeah I just got a spector legend custom 5 for pretty much exactly that price - excellent bass

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

Found a Ibby SR3/405 (couldn't tell which) in a pawn shop yesterday. This poor thing was so beat up and the neck was curved like a hurting bow. Was hard to tell if it had potential or not due to the poor condition. Major scrapes in the body, the bridge looked like someone used it as a hammer at some point. Mismatched strings on it. I could literally slide my fingers under the strings in the 16+ fret range and the (heavily corroded) saddles had barely any room to adjust lower. They were asking $150 for it too. Crazy.

Then I went to another Pawn Shop and they had a Gio SR206 they priced at $300. It was dark wood w/clear coat - actually really pretty - but had some heavy wear between the pickups where some folks rest their left thumb. Obviously had a lot of mileage on it. Can't get over what those two pawn shops were asking for these things. Based on the condition of the SR, it wasn't worth more than $50 and Sweetwater sells the GSR206 BRAND NEW for $300... (just checked GC and the local one, less than 5 miles from the Pawn Shop has the exact same one, brand new for $299 GSR206 @ GC )

Both were a bit of a turn-off for the SR line. And, I'm an Ibanez guy...
    Last edited by Iron1; 09-15-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

Went to lunch Wednesday with a buddy who's a better bass player than I'll ever be and he started recommending a Squire HM. Turns out his wife bought him one before they got married when it was new (early 90s) and he's had it ever since. He primarily plays higher end Ibanez SRs (has a 606 and 600, I think) but said he's never found a five string he enjoys more than the HM.

After listening to him rave, and knowing we have similar tastes, I pulled the trigger on the Squire HM yesterday that I posted upstream. Should have it early next week. Thanks for all the input.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson USA Flying V
    MA: Yamaha A Series A3M
    MB: ESP LTD F-104

If you like the Ibanez - and many bassists do - take a look at the Ibanez GSR250SM series. They are just under US$300.00 new. If you go used, then your options increase greatly. If you have some good music stores near you, definitely check out their used section.

For something more traditional, take a look at the Squier Affinity Jazz 5-string. Still in your budget new.
    Music is my language

Quote Originally Posted by Ult1mat3X View Post
    If you like the Ibanez - and many bassists do - take a look at the Ibanez GSR250SM series. They are just under US$300.00 new. If you go used, then your options increase greatly. If you have some good music stores near you, definitely check out their used section.

For something more traditional, take a look at the Squier Affinity Jazz 5-string. Still in your budget new.
    Thanks for the ideas. This is what I ended up with:

Click here