New Organ Day - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Organ Day

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Does this one have waterfall keys? That's the other big secret to convincing Hammond performances. Hard to emulate on synth-action keys, impossible on piano-action instruments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Does this one have waterfall keys? That's the other big secret to convincing Hammond performances. Hard to emulate on synth-action keys, impossible on piano-action instruments.
    They've got a little lip, not too bad. It works.

I think a large part of making it sound good is knowing what intervals work for chords with a drawbar sound, 4ths and 5ths are your bread and butter. Sometimes 7ths. Almost never thirds. They don't work on drawbars, too dense sounding, not right.

I actually read that in an interview with Jon Lord last night. The "no 3rds" thing. I mostly do 4ths, 5ths, and 7ths with the left hand. Partly because I'm not a great keys player. It does require a different mentality than piano. It's a very droney, dramatic type thing. The sustained sound works well with rotary speakers or the vibrato function of course.

A lot of classic stuff is a mesh of multiple sounds of course. Often clavinet. I don't have a use for clavinet, not playing Stevie Wonder style funk, but I like the diapson setting. Drawbars developed their own sound, but of course they were originally meant to sound like church organs, so diapson is highly workable. I've got toontracks organ library too, which has some great traditional organ sounds. I don't use the traditional rotary sounds that much, prefer chorus or vibrato or delay. If you have the rotors going there isn't a ton of room for other stuff to be happening musically.

I double the right hand parts with the "thoughts of theremin" patch from Strezov's Oracle library. That's the only usable theremin-esque thing I've found. Of course the sounds you get playing that with keys aren't possible on an actual theremin, but I like it, Oracle has some great stuff.

Their theremin one is sort of a hybrid with an EMS VC-3 almost, I don't use anything too 80s synthy. But mellotron and VC-3 are all fine. I usually do two tracks. A main one and a crazier quieter "spacier" one with crazy stuff going on. Big fan of Waves Lay-d on any of those instruments. It sort of gets a bunch of octaved up (usually detune it a few cents) particles bouncing around. You have to make them really quiet and eq it carefully, but it's a load of fun. The small cult following that plugin has solely based on that pedal is deserved, works well on a lot of stuff.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    I had been using sample libraries forever, but I felt like it wasn't legit enough.
    TBH, I've abandoned the idea of synth replacements with the intention of them sounding real. Started with drum samples. Even the best out there, anybody that's used them long enough know what VST you're using and what kit. And despite all the layers and alternating hits, and different velocity ranges, they still never sound real. Oh, and even when you're micing an acoustic kit, if you're playing any kind of metal, they're compressed into what would be the top 1/3rd of the velocity range in a VST anyway.

Same thing with guitar amps and VSTs vs modelers vs real amps DI'd into impulses. I've had VSTs and said 'boy, that sounds like fake fizzy bullshit'. Then A/B'd with the REAL amp through an impulse and wait... that also sounds like fake fizzy bullshit. Better try a mic! And so, out comes the SM57. 1-2" from the the cone, sounds awesome in the room but isolated in the recording through headphones and... it sounds like fake fizzy shit.

So idk, I've abandoned the bar for good recordings having a million patches that replicate instruments perfectly or buying old original gear and trying to capture it perfectly. Whatever you have that either inspires you or doesn't get in the way, fucking fire it up.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

remember you have to rock the entire keyboard back and forth to the point where it almost crashes to the ground for Maxium Lord.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    remember you have to rock the entire keyboard back and forth to the point where it almost crashes to the ground for Maxium Lord.
    How it's done-

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

^ My Sides

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C