New Organ Day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Organ Day

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

New Organ Day

So lately my liver hasn't been doing so hot, I didn't want want a transplant, because circa 2009 movies starring Jessica Alba had convinced me I might absorb the memories of the past owner, so I went down to Mexico, where I hear they get human livers from clones they grow in tanks (a practice illegal in the US)....

Just kidding. The other kind of organ.

I do a lot of Deep Purple/Uriah Heep/Emerson,Lake,and Palmer type shit when I write music. I had been using sample libraries forever, but I felt like it wasn't legit enough. A real Hammond would be too much hassle, so I just got a sweet Japanese digital piano one with three cool Jazz Organ sounds that run the gamut from full on distorted rock Hammond to more refined/subtle hammond. It's actually been sitting around for a while, but I finally got around to assembling all the bits.

Not as exciting as a guitar, But yeah. It also has a Marimba setting, which is a definite plus.

Here's a clip of it in action I wrote specifically as an excuse to have a ridiculous 70s prog hammond intro. Pretty much every song I write has a Hammond intro. This is like, a softer 1972-ish UH type sound. Jon Lord's sound actually isn't all distortion, he used a ring modulator a lot of the time, which isn't widely known, so some of his tones are harder to nail because there is more going on there than most people think.

First song I've written on a keyboard actually. I'm terrible at keys. My college piano professor was like, the Pol Pot of piano teachers, and after the first three classes I just pretended to be terminally ill and unable to attend. She looked like a sweet 5 foot tall asian lady, but she had the heart and soul of a hardened war criminal.

Now I just have to write material centered around the Marimba setting. Also if anyone has some old Rick Wakeman style capes I will take them off your hands.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Being raised with a 3 tier organ with foot pedals as my first instrument, I can't help but feel disappointed that you didn't go the tr00 route and copped out with just a digital piano instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    Being raised with a 3 tier organ with foot pedals as my first instrument, I can't help but feel disappointed that you didn't go the tr00 route and copped out with just a digital piano instead.
    Yeah, definitely a bit of a poseur. Buying a vintage organ is prohibitively expensive though, than then you often have to spend money on restoration and shit like that. Hammond isn't the only name in the game of course. Kind of like how "Kleenex" is generic for tissues. People just use "Hammond B3" as a generic term for drawbar organs.

This one is a Kawai, I believe they own Lowrey organs, don't actually know what the sounds are based on.

The Lesley speaker route is traditional, but in all honesty, can be a bit much for metal. I actually prefer the vibrato switches for a shimmering type thing.

Thankfully, drawbar organs are pretty easy to cop convincingly with synthesis. Hammond themselves sell digital pianos with synth versions of their sound and have for quite a while.

The lack of things like drawbars and switches actually increases productivity. On actual layouts or sample pack emulations I can fuck around with the switches and drawbars for hours. I was using Wavesfactory Retrokeys before this. Which is pretty cool. Sample Elka Organ I think, this is far simpler though.

I've also had quite a few of the emulation pedals. The Earthquaker one and the Electro-Hamonix C-9, but it's just not the same. Gigantic pain in the ass actually, no matter what, getting a workable Hammond sound is a hassle. I use Waves Lay-D "Reverse Delay" plugin, which does pitch shifted echoes, so having octave up bits bouncing around subtly in the background is fun. Absolutely love Waves Lay-D plugin, wish I could find a comparable physical pedal. You can use that thing as a trippy exciter type thing on almost anything and it sounds awesome.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I've got the same one. I use whatever the mode is where any key plays the next note of song you have cued up to blow people's minds.

I also got into the practice of using my built in patches instead of MIDI.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I've got the same one. I use whatever the mode is where any key plays the next note of song you have cued up to blow people's minds.

I also got into the practice of using my built in patches instead of MIDI.
    The concert magic mode? Yeah. That one is a life saver. As long as you can convincingly explain to people why your repertoire is limited to songs like Yankee Doodle and Hava Nagilah. As well as explaining how you were able to play all of "America the Beautiful" by pressing one key repeatedly.

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

blast that thing through and overdriven amp and get your John Lord on.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    Perfect Strangers is definitely my favorite Hammond Organ tone. The stuff I'm doing now is a more of a pretty direct tribute to this. At least the intro bit.

Although the bass line going with the Hammond is also a huge tribute to this, which is one of my favorite songs. I basically wanted to do something that paid tribute to all my favorite 70s prog song intros at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    Huge Deep Purple fan though of course. I prefer the stuff on Burn keyboard wise to Machine Head, as well as In Rock. Best Hammond song on Machine Head is definitely Pictures of Home.

And of course, before they sold out Whitesnake had some fucking great Hammond sounds. Makes sense since Coverdale was in Deep Purple.

Lovehunter is the best Whitesnake album and anyone who says otherwise is a poseur.