Michael Jackson's Drummer studio videos. - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Michael Jackson's Drummer studio videos.

ME: Gibson V
    MA: Eastman
    Rig: Mesa Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    FWIW, I've always interpreted "in the pocket" to refer to the fact that the rhythm section might call for the guitar/bass to play ahead of, behind or right on the beat but the drums drop right in with them. It's not just a locked, clicked and quantized beat, it's following what the rhythm section is doing and moving with it. I've heard the same term used for bass playing, once again, when it follows what the rest of the rhythm is doing.

Thought it was worth mentioning since there's a lot of discussion of ahead of/behind/on the beat and I don't think "playing in the pocket" exclusively refers to any of those things.
    I don't think it has anything to do with where one sits on the beat either. I've always thought of 'playing in the pocket' as the sticking to a simple, repeatable groove that allows the rest of the band to know where they can fuck with what they'll play. They know where the drummer is gonna go because the drums are consistent and simple - predictable, allowing them to fill the gaps how they choose. It's a find the approach and stick-to-it kinda thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

Personally I would rather jam with Matt Halpern. SS.org all the way!!!!!!!! Hes so in the pocket brahhhh