Metal Guitarist Forums banner

I thought I sucked at drums... until today =O

Tags
drums sucked
2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Oogadee Boogadee 
#1 ·
I really thought I sucked at drumming until today when I realized my BEATERS WAS ANGLED WAY TOO MUCH...:scream2::scream2::scream2::scream2:

I didn't notice that the clubs actually slowed down BEFORE hitting the head, I thought THE MORE DISTANCE THE MORE POWER... Well, not really true. I had to force the last bit.:scream2::scream2::scream2::scream2::scream2:

I figured out the proper angle and now... oh man what a difference in playability :flex::flex::flex::flex::flex:

Oh man I can't wayt to go back and practice more drums

I LOVE DRUMMING NOW!!! ITS FINALY REALLY FUN!!! :metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

BECAUSE THE PEDALS DO EXACLY WHAT I TELL THEM TO AND THEY DONT FIGHT BACJ!!! :nono:

ROCK OUT EVERYONE!!!:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

#2 ·
Maybe it's the angle of the camera but it looks like your feet are further back on the pedal than they should be?

BTW, although this guy isn't a metal drummer, I've found a lot of his videos very informative and easy to digest. Might be some gems in his videos for you-

#4 ·
Cool. Like I said, it could have been the angle of the video recording. Although that video I linked discusses burying the beater, I included it more because of his discussion about beater angle & height. Anyways, you're drumming sounds pretty solid to me & I hope to get to that level myself eventually. I've at least played higher with a metronome on drums than I have on guitar :lol:

#7 ·
the combination of forces and mechanics and stuff that are going on with a drum pedal is massive. Like chasing guitar tone, it's the never ending quest of finding the pedal setting that feels good for both slow and fast music. What feels powerful and rewarding (acoustically) is a real bitch when it comes to playing fast stuff.

You've probably already realized a lot of this... but listing out pairs of variables could be fun, or fuck with your mind haha. It's wild how certain aspects turn on drummers, while other drummers need different aspects. For example, a more playable pedal might yield less power. Some drummers like that feel and are good at staying relaxed despite less volume. For me, if I hear less power, I tend to over exert myself to compensate. But a hard pedal that yields a loud ass thump really turns me on into 'go mode' and I start hammering in a relaxed way that the tough pedal just works for me.

anyway, on to the combination of adjustments, because you can't just see them individually - a lot of this is cause and effect kind of stuff.

Big beater angle = equals super stretched spring by the time of beater contact. Yet somewhat negated by heavier beaters (momentum has this big inertia that combats the tight spring)
Light beaters change direction fast, allowing for loser springs. Also allows for looser drumheads since you dont need that head tension to resist and throw back a heavy beater. But the lack of acoustic power may not turn you on sonically.
Tight springs (or big beater angle) makes you have to play with your foot higher on the footboard for leverage. You gain control but loose power.
Foot position - back on the board for more power per degree of angle extension.... but you loose control as well as leverage needed to combat a tight spring, heavy beater, etc.
Pedal design - board length, *** vs direct drive, etc etc.
Beater length - longer beater = more rotational velocity = more momentum into a head. You can play louder with lighter beaters by lengthening the beater. They end up being not light anymore. Conversely, heavy beaters can be made to feel lighter by decreasing their length. If the tone and feel generated by hitting center of drum or above center of drum matter to you, then these variables can help you.

If i'm playing a loose head, it's harder to hear, so I'll favor a heavy beater and a decent beater angle to get the momentum needed to make the drum explode. And to get that heavy beater to return to position fast, I'll need a tighter spring. Accomplished by either a larger beater angle, tight spring setting, or both. If I'm in horrible shape, this can be tough for thrash and death metal. I might spend a couple of weeks at a tighter head. Or, if I'm in a situation where I can keep the drum pitch down and still hear myself either because of drum monitors, or amps not aimed at me, etc, I might go for lighter beaters, which would allow for looser springs. Less spring tension needed to return the beater to position. Less head tension needed to absorb, stop, and then throw back the beater. Again, you'll get less volume - but even without drum monitors, the ease of playing might appeal to your style... allowing you to relax and actually comfortably play harder.

I'm rambling and losing my train of thought, but i'll close with this - because I've always liked volume, I've always tried to see how heavy of a pedal I could get a way with, and dial back the power in the settings until a point where I can manage it. I set it up for power - big beater angle to get me the tight spring needed to return my beater quickly, and loosen the spring up until i hit a setting that I'm strong enough to handle. I do think I need to spend some months working with the opposite approach. Seeing how much power I can get out of my technique from a pedal/head set-up that is geared towards speed.

#8 ·
I think Marthyn (ex Belphagor) plays direct drives with beaters closer to the head. The beaters return to position and their momentum makes them swing back a little more (assuming you lift your toes high enough to allow for the beater swing), restretching the spring, and then actually assisting in changing the beater direction from it's returning motion back toward the striking motion. This is a much more obvious affect with direct drive pedals than chain *** pedals.

#9 ·
i want to try this with my iron cobras- I just got a pair of their aftermarket super tight high-tension chrome springs. I want to set up heavy beaters, but with a close beater angle. In theory, i should get power, despite the smaller throw, by having increased mass (heavier beater). The I'll get tight spring tension by default (having heavier springs), not having to rely on large the spring stretch you get from having larger beater angles. So, i'll get power, fast return, and because the default beater angle will be smaller, the beater will take it's return swing past 'home position', restretching the spring on the back swing, getting me that larger beater throw, but the restretched spring will change the direction of the beaters for me.

Another thing, i love to sit low - i get more leg power that way, and when i want, i can still play fast with ankles. But that makes tom positioning a bitch. Sometimes I wish i had 20" kick drums instead of 22" kicks. I could sit lower, drop my toms, plus have that tighter head tension you get from having a smaller diameter drumhead. Drumhead diameters, thicknesses, ply counts.... a whole other set of variables.

Oh, don't mess with the Gibraltar click pad. It's too massive in weight. The beater hits it, but then it fucks with the behavior of the drum head... sort of not allowing the drumhead to stop and bounce the beater back as effectively. It could be like trying to jump on a trampoline that has a bag of sand on it. The Remo Falams patch will you the most attack without having a plastic or metal clickpad. I've tried them all (aquarian, evans, etc).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.