My bass guitar plans
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bass guitar plans

ME: 1984 b23f
    MA: Fender Rust
    MB: Volvo 145
    Rig: Glasspack

My bass guitar plans

Well, it looks like I'll be getting another job soon, so it's time to allocate money towards G.A.S.!

First I'd like to pick one of these up:

Ibanez SR305M

I chose this particular model because... Well, it's not black, it has a maple fretboard, and its significantly cheaper than the mahogany SR505. I understand that purchasing Ibanez pickups has its disadvantages, instead of the "bartiloni" brand on the SR505; atleast this is my experience with ibanez electric guitars.

The current band I'm with uses Drop C#, so I'd like to have a low G# beneath them... this will also come in handy when I am playing along with my sevenstring. The string gauges I plan to use are .145 (G#), .130 (C#), .100 (G#), .080 (C#), and .050 (A#). Ofcourse, juststrings.com will by my method of obtaining these strings.

Any advice (Eleven59? )? I tend to play with the thicker side of strings, and I've come to like the .130, .100, .080, .045 set I'm using on my 4-string right now. I figured the .145 would be more than enough for B, Bb, A, and Ab.

Forgive me if this doesn't make any sense. I'm running on coffee atm. Philosophy papers are owning me...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Also, I can't imagine a 8x10 being able to handle a low Ab very well... Should I invest in some 15 inch speakers for good measure?

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

10" speakers move plenty of low-frequency air. Sure, a 2x15" will give you more "thump," but trust me, an 8x10 will give you plenty of thump AND keep your sound clear, clean, and punchy.

If you want to go that big, though, I'd get a 2x10 or 4x10 and a 1x15 or 2x15.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: HD500

I've hit F# cleanly on a 4x10 10-inch speakers are far superior to larger speakers, IMHO, because they can respond quickly, 15-inch speakers get sluggish (good for reggae, bad for metal). I've never had trouble with my 4x10 not being able to fill a room or shake a floor, the thing sounds huge.

Well thanks for all the replies guys. I guess y'all don't have any experience with the particular Ibanez model I'm looking at... My tax refund check should be coming in soon, and I'm still trying to prioritize what I need in terms of gear.

Also, eleven, just based on those recordings you made I want to get that MXR bass di+.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: HD500

Quote Originally Posted by arnoroth661 View Post
    Well thanks for all the replies guys. I guess y'all don't have any experience with the particular Ibanez model I'm looking at... My tax refund check should be coming in soon, and I'm still trying to prioritize what I need in terms of gear.

Also, eleven, just based on those recordings you made I want to get that MXR bass di+.
    Yeah, it's sweet, though if you get a chance, try out the MXR Blow Torch, since it's the same kind of distortion but with more EQ control (I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things).

As for the bass, my old bassist has an SR305 and the Ibanez pickups really aren't terrible necessarily. I've heard good things done with the cheaper Ibanez basses, but you definitely might want to upgrade eventually (either the pickups, preamp, both, or the whole bass).

Also, I'm going to be re-recording some stuff soon, since I realized my strings were pretty old on that recording, and I just restrung yesterday

Oh, cool, note taken. I know nothing of upgrading bass pickups... Hell, I don't even know the difference between "pbass" and "jpass" pickups. I guess it'll come with time, though. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, what strings do you prefer?

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

I just use a standard Elixir bass set. Lasts me 6+ months, and as they go duller towards the end of their lifespan I just use the treble on my Schecter's active EQ to compensate.