NDD: Maple Goodness

Thread: NDD: Maple Goodness

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

NDD: Maple Goodness

Got a sudden influx of cash near my birthday so I did what any normal person does- spend it. I've been taking drum lessons since February and have been using an e-kit this whole time. While I do like the kit, it's kinda clear that I need to play an acoustic kit while I learn the fundamentals because e-kits don't respond to subtle changes like acoustics. I didn't want an acoustic because of the noise but recently became aware of the Remo Silentstroke mesh head swap and low noise cymbals like the Zildjian L80s which effectively drop your kit noise like 70%. I guy locally was selling the Remo/Zildjian package for a decent price so I figured I'd pick that up and a kit to go with it.

I sent several local ad options to my drummer friend for his opinion. I sent him the ad for this kit and he told me to stop looking because that was the one to get. This is an early 2000s PDP (Pacific Drums) CX kit. PDP is to DW Drums what Squire is to Fender- a distinct line geared towards more affordability but still quality. This kit specifically is well known within the drumming circle as a sleeper kit because it plays well above its price point. At the time it was produced, it was built in Mexico alongside DW Drums in the same factory and, in this case, using the same US Maple wood materials.

Anyways, this kit was $300 USD for the 5 piece shells plus PDP double bass pedal, hi hit stand, and cymbal stand mount for the 14" tom. I spent today swapping out the normal heads for the mesh heads and cleaning the chrome with some 0000 steel wool. Really stoked about this kit.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Sexy

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Nice, I've had some really great results recording Maple kits.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

This reminds me, I've been wanting to expand a bit, my musical abilities. I've been playing guitar for 25 years. When I started, I was also playing sax in my school bands (concert and jazz), as well as bagpipes in our pipe band. I see your kit, and think, "Hmm, I bet I could fit something like that in my garage..."

If you've got the room and are already making noise with a half stack....

It's fun playing drums for sure but it will take awhile to get decent. I started back in Jan/Feb and still feel like I pretty much suck, and that's with taking lessons with an instructor. One thing that will likely transfer over to your guitar playing is improving your overall timing and playing to groove.

Like guitars, it opens up a rabbit hole for gear but there's a lot of great stuff (obviously) that you can pick up on the used market.

I had an e-kit for a spell, and the only song I could play was Bob Seger's Mainstreet

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

NICE KIT.

My Little bro is an ace drummer. I often thought about picking up a set and giving it a try myself but i figured my wife would divorce me after putting up with loud, mistake-ridden drums.

Maybe an electronic set would be better for me haha.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you've got the space for an acoustic set, I'd consider going the route that I talked about here. Keep in mind that an e-kit still has noise since you're still hitting drum heads and solid rubberized plastic cymbals. Anyways, here's a video for the L80s and Silentstroke heads:

I think the volume is just a little more than the Sweetwater video makes it seem like but it definitely less than a traditional setup.
    Last edited by scole; 09-21-2020 at 08:16 PM.