Metal Guitarist Forums banner

One more Spector thread....

5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Mattayus 
#1 ·
So, I'm chopping my ESP Standard Series Surveyor in as there's something in the tone that I just can't get on with, I used it to track my last album and there was a frequency that was killing me. I was thinking about going Precision/Jazz as a lot of albums that I love have been tracked on them, but I've just been offered a straight trade on a Solid Maple Czech Spector (pre Euro series). I used to own a cheaper Spector and really liked it, I'm interested if anyone thinks this is a worthwhile deal?

#2 ·
Was it the high end? Because I feel the same with Music Man basses. The extreme high ends kill me, and the Surveyor has a MM bridge pickup.

And that sounds like it could be a good deal. those Euro spectors kick so much ass, and you'd probably love the tone if it's a classic P/J one.

#4 ·
I'd absolutely do it. The all maple Spectors are probably just a hair sweeter than the maple top/alder back ones. I had an early Euro that I still kick myself for selling and it sounded awesome - was solid maple with no walnut wedge in it. Of course, my new Euro kicks all sorts of ass too, so maybe I'm just a fanboy. I'd find out what preamp is in the Spector though first.

#6 ·
yup nothing wrong with the pre euro series czech basses, NS4CR ?

I played one with passive EMG GZR's and a Darkglass Tonecapsule and it was tone paradise! Depending on what year the one you are offered is made, it could have an aguilar obp-2 or a tone pump junior I believe.

Anyway, do it.

'just buy a spector'

#13 ·
I swear to fucking god if you turn that down, you deserve to be banned.
this and this.

For a little history, that is most likely the Guitar Center special run from about 2003, or possibly a custom shop order(a lot of options don't cost more, you just have to wait for the build), but it looks like the electronics have been upgraded which isn't a bad thing, to an EMG brand one(guessing from the EMG knobs. Looks like it's in great shape! Do it, and sell it to me or Alan if you ever sell it.

Most of those GC ones look a darker blue, so I'm really not sure about this one because it looks so damn good.

This would probably sell on talkbass for $1200.

#28 ·
'Would you like to trade the ESP you're selling for a spector', morphed into 'Thanks for letting me try out your ESP, I've always wondered if they play better than LTD's'. No problem mate, I was actually looking for somebody to come round and waste an hour of my time when I originally posted the Ad offering my bass in exchange for a payment of money.

#32 ·
Unbelievable :lol:. This is why I try not to spend much time with musicians. Stuff like this just doesnt happen in other social circles. I've had a guy actually tell me he didnt have the cash for a guitar I was selling but would love to try it out.... What world are these people living on?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.