I need a 5 string bass soon - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I need a 5 string bass soon

ME: Gibson USA Flying V
    MA: Yamaha A Series A3M
    MB: ESP LTD F-104

What kind of a sound are you looking for? What styles would you play?

I have not tried any bass you listed, but I'm pretty sure they're all "okay", probably not spectacular. But keep in mind that I've used a 80$ bass for recording with nice results.

My 5 string bass at the moment is a Marcus Miller V7. About 450$ new, could fit your budget used, and it's fantastic. It is geared towards jazz and funk though. If you're more into metal, I would look into some Ibanez models that are a bit better quality, I don't have good experiences with their low end instruments to be honest. Squier also makes great basses with low prices, if you can find a 5 string VM P-bass that's a good option. Warwick is generally a respected brand, but I have no experience with their basses, sorry.

Where do you live? Any chance you could grab a 5 string squier? That would be my number one recommendation. If you can't, I'd look into some higher quality Ibanez ones. Just my 2c.
    Music is my language

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

I'd be after an Ibby SR5xx or 6xx, but finding a white one might be tough. Don't you have anyone local who can paint guitars for you? That opens up your options a ton...
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Ult1mat3X View Post
    What kind of a sound are you looking for? What styles would you play?

I have not tried any bass you listed, but I'm pretty sure they're all "okay", probably not spectacular. But keep in mind that I've used a 80$ bass for recording with nice results.

My 5 string bass at the moment is a Marcus Miller V7. About 450$ new, could fit your budget used, and it's fantastic. It is geared towards jazz and funk though. If you're more into metal, I would look into some Ibanez models that are a bit better quality, I don't have good experiences with their low end instruments to be honest. Squier also makes great basses with low prices, if you can find a 5 string VM P-bass that's a good option. Warwick is generally a respected brand, but I have no experience with their basses, sorry.

Where do you live? Any chance you could grab a 5 string squier? That would be my number one recommendation. If you can't, I'd look into some higher quality Ibanez ones. Just my 2c.
    I have already finished this quest a few months ago

I ordered a custom Maruszczyk instead of dealing with used market or getting a factory bass I don't like the looks of.
    It's a fantastic bass, cost was about $1500 and only 3 months build time