Metal Guitarist Forums banner

I need a 5 string bass soon

Tags
bass string
7K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Rocka_Rollas 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm tired of changing strings to BEAD on my 4-string Ibby every now and then when I need it so I think it's time to get myself a real fivestringer.

Also, my Ibanez had problem with floppy B-string which should be an issue because of the scale, I guess.

What you think about this? There's not a lot of information about them on the internet...
https://www.thomann.de/se/jackson_cbxnt_v_snow_white.htm

Otherwise a Warmoth or something might be an idea but since I'm guitarplayer first hand and only use bass for recording I'm not sure how much money I wanna put into this. (EDIT: I noticed they only do 34 scale, except the Gecko necks... but they are also 5-piece laminates so i MIGHT think of getting a Gecko but I'm not 100% with the design visually)

Oh and there's two requirements:

1. It has to have active pickups (I could change it myself if needed)
2. It has to be white with black hardware :flex:

See less See more
#6 ·
Btw yes I've definitely cheched that Squier bass out.

But it has chrome hardware and I'm gay about these things... And then getting EMGs...
And it has a maple fertboard... I want a rosewood fretboard :lol: so that would mean getting a Warmoth neck too.

Nah, I dont think I would be 100% with that Squier when it comes to the details

The Jackson in the OP however would probably only need a pickup change

#20 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but they don't seem to come in white tho. And pickups can be swapped out by myself, for example to the pickups suggested my Jazzhands below :)

Those are nice basses. They sound more like MM basses than J basses, but downthe road you can change the pickup to EMG 40J's or something.
Yeah, I was thinking something like that :)

Do they fit? I thought the TRBX305 pickups looked a bit weird but I'm not a bass expert, I think their pickup variety is a real jungle :lol:

The Peavey Grind is a nice bass for the money. Peavy Grind NTB 5 String Bass | eBay
It's not white :scratch:

Guys, even PEARL WHITE IS WRONG. I only like pure white gloss guitars, especially if they have black hardware.

I'm stubborn as a retard on this, sorry for that, but it has to match all my other guitars :lol: (they are all white with black hardware, except one being purple with gold hardware for some LGBT diversity :ghey2:)

#25 · (Edited)
Hmm, that's a shame.

However, if they truly are active, I shouldn't have any issues with the scratching noises I get with my passives.

I think passive pickups with active preamps still make scratching noises, but I'm not sure.

Actually, as long as I rest one hand on a string there's not a lot of scratching sounds. It just happens whenever I lift one of my hands from the strings or bridge.

And no, it's not because of bad shielding, all passive guitars people have brought home to me for recording (Gibsons, Jacksons, ESPs etc etc) all make the same stupid noises, if they have passive pickups.

Real actives does NOT make these noises.

But since I 95% of the time record clean basses, I can probably live with a little scratching. My current Ibanez bass sounds great with passive Toneriders and I've recorded a couple of albums with it since moving to this apartment, but once the gain and distortion goes up, the scratching noises becomes unbearable.

#26 ·
Hmm, that's a shame.

However, if they truly are active, I shouldn't have any issues with the scratching noises I get with my passives.

I think passive pickups with active preamps still make scratching noises, but I'm not sure.

Actually, as long as I rest one hand on a string there's not a lot of scratching sounds. It just happens whenever I lift one of my hands from the strings or bridge.

And no, it's not because of bad shielding, all passive guitars people have brought home to me for recording (Gibsons, Jacksons, ESPs etc etc) all make the same stupid noises, if they have passive pickups.

Real actives does NOT make these noises.

But since I 95% of the time record clean basses, I can probably live with a little scratching. My current Ibanez bass sounds great with passive Toneriders and I've recorded a couple of albums with it since moving to this apartment, but once the gain and distortion goes up, the scratching noises becomes unbearable.
IIRC, Yamaha's stuff is more often than not Passive with active Preamps. I've owned 4-5 yamaha basses and thats always been the case .

#29 · (Edited)
The only standardized pickups for 5-string are P, J, and soapbars.

Your best bet is an LTD or a Jackson, and replace the stocker soapbars with EMGs. You could get a beat F200-series and respray it. You will not get 'real' EMGs below the 2000 euro mark. Those things are EXPENSIVE, 120 euro per pickup plus a bunch more money for the preamp bass players for some reason all want.

Interesting that actives don't have interference issues for you. For me, when I sit near the computer, they have the exact same noises, only 10dB quieter.

#30 ·
The only standardized pickups for 5-string are P, J, and soapbars.

Your best bet is an LTD or a Jackson, and replace the stocker soapbars with EMGs. You could get a beat F200-series and respray it. You will not get 'real' EMGs below the 2000 euro mark. Those things are EXPENSIVE, 120 euro per pickup plus a bunch more money for the preamp bass players for some reason all want.

Interesting that actives don't have interference issues for you. For me, when I sit near the computer, they have the exact same noises, only 10dB quieter.
Actually I'm not interested in doing any respraying. Also, autumn is coming so it's getting too cold anyway. I just wanna get a bass right out of the box, set it up and get going. At tops swap pickups but preferably not...

Is that white Jackson so new nobody has ever tried them? I dont find any reviews online...
LTD doesn't have any white basses at the moment, it seems. Only some kind of "brootal looking" one I'm not even interested in anyway

Hmmm, what you mean with "not real EMGs"? Are they fake? I dont get it haha.
Are EMG 81s (for example) in cheaper guitars like Iron Label or Schecters also fake EMGs? Or is this just a bass pheonomem?

Yeah, I do get the "close to computer" noise too. But my solution was to... *drumroll...* move the computer further away :flex:

#33 ·
What kind of a sound are you looking for? What styles would you play?

I have not tried any bass you listed, but I'm pretty sure they're all "okay", probably not spectacular. But keep in mind that I've used a 80$ bass for recording with nice results.

My 5 string bass at the moment is a Marcus Miller V7. About 450$ new, could fit your budget used, and it's fantastic. It is geared towards jazz and funk though. If you're more into metal, I would look into some Ibanez models that are a bit better quality, I don't have good experiences with their low end instruments to be honest. Squier also makes great basses with low prices, if you can find a 5 string VM P-bass that's a good option. Warwick is generally a respected brand, but I have no experience with their basses, sorry.

Where do you live? Any chance you could grab a 5 string squier? That would be my number one recommendation. If you can't, I'd look into some higher quality Ibanez ones. Just my 2c.

#34 ·
I'd be after an Ibby SR5xx or 6xx, but finding a white one might be tough. Don't you have anyone local who can paint guitars for you? That opens up your options a ton...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.