Metal Guitarist Forums banner

New hobby, shred videos

13K views 76 replies 29 participants last post by  Toe-Knee 
#1 ·
I don't really care if these get only 20 views and a bunch of downvotes on YT, this vid was so much fun to record and put together. I'm going to go back and do videos for a lot of my older songs and some new ones. I figured I'd start with the heaviest, most 80s speed metal shreddy one first.

#69 ·
WHAT?! It's only the greatest song ever! Actually my friends and family have instructions to have "Going to a party where no one's still alive" etched on my grave stone. :D

Vince, AWESOME job! LOVE this song so much. I wish I would have known you were doing this. I would have loved to have done some sort of collaboration on this. :wub: :vince:

#73 ·
Yeah, +1 on there being essentially no dynamic range - I don't know if that's Youtube, the mix, or the master, though. Like, 0:35 or so, onwards, where the rhythm guitars keep dropping out and leaving room for the slap bass... there should be some sort or perceptible decrease in volume when the guitars go away, and increase when they come back... but to my ears, it's pretty much steady state. The effect is kind of, well, disorienting. Do you hear any differences between a high res stream off Youtube, on your system, and the raw wave file of the finished master?

#75 ·
yeah I'd be curious. It's odd - it doesn't sound brickwalled, as I'm not hearing a lot of ducking (though the occasional artifact here and there, slap bass attacks in particular), but the dynamics are eerily flat. I think this would be a lot punchier and harder hitting if it felt like something was missing when the guitars dropped out, and then it hit you like a ton of bricks when they came back in.

#76 ·
Yeah it's probably the cd master audio which I aim for about -7 LUFS however for YouTube and Spotify especially, aiming for -12 to -14 LUFS plays a ton nicer with their limiter. I usually save both in my project directory and may have flipped the wrong one into the video editor.

Some of the bass too is doubled, so in spots where I play an octave up slap bass, I doubled it lower to keep the overall bass of the mix constant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.