Metal Guitarist Forums banner

New hobby, shred videos

13K views 76 replies 29 participants last post by  Toe-Knee 
#1 ·
I don't really care if these get only 20 views and a bunch of downvotes on YT, this vid was so much fun to record and put together. I'm going to go back and do videos for a lot of my older songs and some new ones. I figured I'd start with the heaviest, most 80s speed metal shreddy one first.

#13 ·
It's a nice thought but I don't have the time or the talent for that. Besides, anything I'd post would probably be a regurgitation of Rock Discipline or Terrifying Guitar Trip.

Nice, Vince! Though I feel like this is a little misnamed, this isn't a straight-up wank-fest, this is pretty melodic. :yesway:
Yeah I don't think I'd ever write a song that's just scalar runs or whatnot. It's just not me, I have to keep myself interested in the track too.

#20 ·
Man, wish I'd known you when we lived in Phoenix. Tried too start a metal band for years and could never find anyone who could actually jam beyond the level of regurgitated, watered-down radio metal...

#23 ·
Thanks Dave, that's actually really good to hear as I'm a bit self-conscious about my vibrato. I always feel I'm too jerky with it, especially when I watch Eric Johnson or Steve Vai videos, theirs is just so smooth. In the video I posted yesterday, it seems I got a bit smoother with it as the song went along.

#27 ·
For me it's the recording jitters. I hit record on anything and instantly for about half a song I'm jumpy. I notice it too live, the first song I usually play in a set I have to consciously tone it down.

Thanks for the feedback on the video btw! If I'm an amateur guitarist, I'm a total beginner videographer, and I'm slowly learning. The software I'm using (Resolve) stutters a bit when previewing transitions, so I have to frustratingly re-check it after a render. The first video I did was in 4k and the optics were noticably better, but I need to get better at lighting and diversifying backgrounds too. This video was intentional to add a film grain filter, but it was over-contrasted and I need to learn how to fade it in better. I'd love to use something standard like Final Cut, but I'm not buying a Mac and I haven't really looked into other options on PC.

I do like filming with multiple camera angles though and think it adds a nice touch to the video, I just need to get better at the transitions. I've been making it a point to make sure what's on the screen is what's heard in the audio, so I'm recording the guitars at the same time I'm filming. It's frustrating sometimes when I'm on take 14 of a really technical piece like this one, but it's the right way to do it I feel.

#32 ·
For me it's the recording jitters. I hit record on anything and instantly for about half a song I'm jumpy. I notice it too live, the first song I usually play in a set I have to consciously tone it down.

Thanks for the feedback on the video btw! If I'm an amateur guitarist, I'm a total beginner videographer, and I'm slowly learning. The software I'm using (Resolve) stutters a bit when previewing transitions, so I have to frustratingly re-check it after a render. The first video I did was in 4k and the optics were noticably better, but I need to get better at lighting and diversifying backgrounds too. This video was intentional to add a film grain filter, but it was over-contrasted and I need to learn how to fade it in better. I'd love to use something standard like Final Cut, but I'm not buying a Mac and I haven't really looked into other options on PC.

I do like filming with multiple camera angles though and think it adds a nice touch to the video, I just need to get better at the transitions. I've been making it a point to make sure what's on the screen is what's heard in the audio, so I'm recording the guitars at the same time I'm filming. It's frustrating sometimes when I'm on take 14 of a really technical piece like this one, but it's the right way to do it I feel.
I thought they both looked good. I do a bit of video production and as a tip that might help you, if I have multiple camera angles and want to 'cut' between each, I try to keep the area the viewer is looking at consistent on each cut. As an example, if I'm doing an interview show, I try to line up the eyeline between the two people so when you jump from camera to camera, the person watching's eyes don't have to leave one spot on the screen. If you think about that and watch a video, it'll kinda click what makes a cut feel jarring versus smooth.

So in the example of guitar play throughs, I'd say something like having your hands in the same general area of the frame from one angle to another won't make the cuts seem so abrput. If there's no working around that, I just use a crossfade. Dunno what you're using for editing but even windows Movie Maker Maker lets you do that, so it should be an option.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

#28 ·
Loving the look of that Schecter, also loving your melodies around 1:31 and further.

Reminds me of something that should have been in HALO.

#30 ·
Yeah, just be you, dude. You're not a 22-year old aspiring djenter. If you don't worry so much about the production and the camera angles and the filtering and whatnot, and just get in front of the camera and have fun playing music you give a shit about, that comes across way more. :yesway:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.