Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Mike Fortin's New Modeling Plug-In

7K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  schreckmusic 
#1 ·
Never thought I'd see the day where Mike would make a modeler but he did and it sounds fucking awesome. It sounds pretty damn close to my Randall Satan. Preordered. :metal:

#15 · (Edited)
Having just sang the praises of the Fortin Nameless plugin, I don't think I'll purchase it. I think it must be a bit of a CPU hog. When I open Reaper and have 2 tracks with the Fortin plugin on and try to load Superior Drummer 2.0 and TMF, Reaper crashes. I had issues rendering files with just guitars as well.

I turned off Nameless and went back to other plugins I've used in the past and I don't have the issues at all.

Shame really. I think it sounded phenomenal. Guess I'm back to TSEx50, Lecto, Emissary, etc. OR enjoying my real tube head which I do most of the time. Got a new cabinet coming in the next few weeks. Custom made with 2 Creambacks in it. Can't wait!

#28 ·
Im sure it sounds nice and its targeted for a specific type of playing, but its super expensive... I mean its like 10% of the value of a dedicated Hardware Modeler that most certain sound better and has 200 times the options. In fact VST packages are actually expensive compared to their Physical Hardware competitors if we take everything into account.

This juts popped in:

#31 ·
Downloaded the trial finally. I like it a lot, but I'm quite sure it slaps my ass enough to justify buying it quite yet. It is a funky amp, definitely a curve-ball to give to the amp sim crowd. It's very high-end focused, and you have to inject a lot of low-end into it. Once you EQ with that in mind, you can get some cool tones though.

#33 ·
Gave the demo a whirl. Excuse my shitty drum mix and placeholder solo :lol:

I was just noodling around with the new Jackson mick Thomson and quickly put this together before my daughter woke up this past Saturday.

#38 ·
So I downloaded the free trial and messed around with it.
Thoughts;
Grind pedal, hated it. Adds a weird metallic twang
Pull gain knob, didn't use it
Gain I & Gain II. Its very strange. Again weird metallic tones if mixed the wrong way. I found a good mix is Gain II on 10 Gain I on 2.5
Cab section. Was ok, I found that I had a better sound turning it off and using an ownhammer IR

I profiled the Fortin with the cab section disabled into my Kemper. Then converted an ownhammer IR into a Kemper cab and imported. Lots of post shit and this is the result

Would I buy it? No, I made a half way decent tone but it took a lot to get there. I guess the main features which people are drawn too I simply do not understand the appeal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.