New Recording Rig Day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Recording Rig Day

ME: USA Strat/LP, TAM10
    MB: Ibanez SR305
    Rig: Randall Satan

New Recording Rig Day

I just upgraded my 10 year old setup (Presonus Firestudio Project interface & KRK Rokit 5 monitors) to the Presonus Quantum 2 and these JBL 308p MKII monitors. These big ass monitors and my KRK sub sound pretty good together, I wasn't sure how it would sound because of the 8" woofer. The IsoAcoustics monitor stands were thrown in when I bought them so that was nice. I can definitely tell a difference in clarity when I go DI compared to my old Presonus interface. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone looking to upgrade interfaces and has Thunderbolt capability

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Interesting that you use both 8" drivers and a subwoofer. I had thought that subs were better with 5" drivers. My old M-Audio BX-8s are very trebly, oddly enough, and I'm mulling over a switch when I get some $$$.

I might find that I don’t even need the sub, I haven’t done any mixes on this yet so time will tell.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I'm running the little brother of those (305s) and they're my favorite monitors I've ever had. Nice rig.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall

I can't mix with a sub, it just fucks everythng right up on me
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

With 8s you probably won't use a sub. At every studio I went to everyone would use a sub. Sounds awesome if mixed right but when the average listener plays it in their car or on their iphone headphones then it was all for nothing. When I came up here and all my teachers being from Nashville explained that's why they don't mix with subs unless its for a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpintofinity View Post
    With 8s you probably won't use a sub. At every studio I went to everyone would use a sub. Sounds awesome if mixed right but when the average listener plays it in their car or on their iphone headphones then it was all for nothing. When I came up here and all my teachers being from Nashville explained that's why they don't mix with subs unless its for a movie.
    My sub is turned up barely to 2 so in all honesty it's probably not doing me any favors. Maybe by losing it altogether I could accomplish more of a focused, tighter low end in my mixes.

Here is something that I tracked a couple weeks ago and did a quick mix on using these new monitors:

Last edited by jmeezle; 04-22-2019 at 02:44 PM.

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

Quote Originally Posted by jmeezle View Post
    My sub is turned up barely to 2 so in all honesty it's probably not doing me any favors. Maybe by losing it altogether I could accomplish more of a focused, tighter low end in my mixes.

Here is something that I tracked a couple weeks ago and did a quick mix on using these new monitors:

Sounds nice on my mix cubes. Subs don't really work too well in smaller rooms. It's nice if you have hip hop or dance clients, also if their music will be played in clubs by djs in which will have subs.