Mixing: Monitors vs. Headphones
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing: Monitors vs. Headphones

Mixing: Monitors vs. Headphones

Since I'm going to be getting my new computer up and running this week, I plan on loading it with Reaper so I can finally start recording (I've got a keyboard to handle MIDI for drums, and a bass, so all bases covered for instruments) and I'm curious what the consensus is for the two. I'm 99% sure it's just "always mix with monitors" but figured I'd throw it out there to see if it might be worth starting with headphones first as there's less variables to account for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Open back headphones are on par with monitors as far as mixing goes IMO. The thing I like about headphones is being able to turn up and down in extreme swings to try and pick out issues, in a way that doesn't work as well with monitors
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: Rivera KR7, 5153, MKIV

Headphones are better for detailed listening until you are spending a few hundred k on treated rooms but they won't give you a good stereo image like speakers so use both

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

If your alternative to headphones is regular speakers, then a good set of headphones is a good idea. However, mixing on monitors is very important because headphones will exaggerate the stereo effect, so you'll make decisions you'd never make with monitors.

My recommendation: get a half-decent set of monitors as well as a good pair of headphones. Use them in conjunction with one another to make your mix decisions.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I mix primarily on monitors, but will grab my headphones for surgical EQ tweaks sometimes.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I mix primarily on monitors, but will grab my headphones for surgical EQ tweaks sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    If your alternative to headphones is regular speakers, then a good set of headphones is a good idea. However, mixing on monitors is very important because headphones will exaggerate the stereo effect, so you'll make decisions you'd never make with monitors.

My recommendation: get a half-decent set of monitors as well as a good pair of headphones. Use them in conjunction with one another to make your mix decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
    Headphones are better for detailed listening until you are spending a few hundred k on treated rooms but they won't give you a good stereo image like speakers so use both
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Open back headphones are on par with monitors as far as mixing goes IMO. The thing I like about headphones is being able to turn up and down in extreme swings to try and pick out issues, in a way that doesn't work as well with monitors
    So, this kind of went how I figured where they both have their moments of use, but currently my only PC speakers are some Phillips something-somethings, and ideally I'd be going for one or the other for now, since good headphones seem to be 2/3rds the cost of a set of decent monitors, so I'll rephrase:

If you were to get one before the other, especially since throwing down that much money for both on something I'm just starting out at is a lot, which one would be the more practical?

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

$100 will get you closer to a good pair of headphones than it will monitors.

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

I do the base stuff with headphones, then use my monitors to fine tune. Then I take the song and listen to it on a cheap mono source, then with cheap ear buds and in my car to pick out any little things I can. Granted, I'm not the best audio engineer on here, so take my advice with a large grain of salt.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.