Need a new soundcard... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a new soundcard...

ME: Gibson LP P90
    MA: Sigma D-10
    MB: Warwick Corvette 5
    Rig: JCA22

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    So I am looking at the focusrite stuff (USB) vs the UA Apollo (firewire), am limited to USB/Firewire as I don't have thunderbolt support on motherboard (boooo) as it's old, but don't want to upgrade the music PC as it still works absolutely fine.

However, I am slightly tempted to just upgrade the PC as well, but obviously that then incurs great cost just to get thunderbolt 3 support, and am not sure that is worth it overall?

Any advantage to thunderbolt 3 over thunderbolt 2? This for future proofing, as really want the card to last for a long time
    Firewire is dead. Yes you can get it to work, but no one is supporting the protocol at all anymore. It's really not worth getting any Apollo's with a firewire setup since they added a lot of features when they went to Thunderbolt. If you do upgrade to Thunderbolt an option I recommend a lot of people is to get an Apollo Twin and just buy an ADAT Preamp unit to expand it.

Everything is quickly going to USB-C and Thunderbolt 3. USB 4 will be coming out next year and is will make every USB cable the same spec as Thunderbolt 3. All current thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces are backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 2 with an adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    I did try win10 on the current rig, but it was a total disaster... Might be worth a punt to try again though, but still dubious about it.

Win10 I actually like, have it on the laptop, but on the audio machine, it literally broke half the shit I use!
    I would get Win10 to work if you can. I have always hated Windows but actually LOVE Win10. Microsoft also basically just announced no more support for Windows 7 soon. If Pro Tools actually was laid out well in Windows I would switch over from Mac, but alas it is not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Firewire is dead. Yes you can get it to work, but no one is supporting the protocol at all anymore. It's really not worth getting any Apollo's with a firewire setup since they added a lot of features when they went to Thunderbolt. If you do upgrade to Thunderbolt an option I recommend a lot of people is to get an Apollo Twin and just buy an ADAT Preamp unit to expand it.

Everything is quickly going to USB-C and Thunderbolt 3. USB 4 will be coming out next year and is will make every USB cable the same spec as Thunderbolt 3. All current thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces are backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 2 with an adapter.

I would get Win10 to work if you can. I have always hated Windows but actually LOVE Win10. Microsoft also basically just announced no more support for Windows 7 soon. If Pro Tools actually was laid out well in Windows I would switch over from Mac, but alas it is not.
    Problem with thunderbolt 3 is that I'd have to upgrade chip, motherboard and RAM as well in one hit (thunderbolt 3 requires a motherboard with a seperate pin header, and then a pcie expansion card), which when I looked into it, started to total the bill up to more than I was willing to spend rapidly unfortunately. Buying a mac, same thing, quickly increases the bill to stupid levels...

I ended up finding an apollo quad firewire interface. I reckoned that it'll work with my existing setup, deal with win7, win10 if I migrate (I really like windows10, but when i tried to upgrade my audio rack PC to it, all kinds of bad stuff happened) will have thunderbolt (even if it's only thunderbolt 2, but not too bothered) and the card should hold a fair amount of value for a while, so even if I do decide to go full thunderbolt 3 in a year or two, because it's an apollo, it should not hurt too much in the resale stakes.

I like Win7 and Win10. 8 I didn't mind, but wasn't amazing, they seem to do good/bad/good/bad releases, so skipping every other windows release seems to work out well.

ME: Gibson LP P90
    MA: Sigma D-10
    MB: Warwick Corvette 5
    Rig: JCA22

Good luck with the firewire setup. Yeah thunderbolt 3 and usb-c have been a major blessing and pain in the ass at the same time. USB 4 will finally solve all the headaches. You can get an Intel NUC for pretty cheap these days and theyre powerhouses for what they are.

Also yeah I really hated Win10 at first but I really enjoy it more than most of Mac OS X now.

If you have any questions or concerns with the new setup message me.