METAL FOUNDRY FUCKING RULES!!!!! YES YES YES!!!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 72

Thread: METAL FOUNDRY FUCKING RULES!!!!! YES YES YES!!!!!

  1. #9


    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Location: Sweden
    ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

    iTrader: 0

    I was right all along

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #10


    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Laramie, Wyoming
    ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

    iTrader: 15 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    Unlike most others, Greg McCoy got what I was talking about!
    He knows the 80s sound!

    I await Gregs approval of my above clip
    Yeah that sounds sick.

    All your material would sound better with '88-'92 type reverby mixes IMO. Not just on the drums either. That style of mixing. That's not a right or wrong thing of course, and there are also people out there who are like, "Make it as up front/dry as possible". I personally like the sound of like, the Warlock or UDO (Timebomb) albums from that era. Even bands that had great mixes in that era got more modern and less cool as time went on.



    Unfortunately, most of the metal world right now is split between stuff that is too dry, and "extreme metal" stuff that has way too much fucking reverb. Specifically "trve kvlt rehearsal room reverb".

    Like this. I was pretty stoked on checking this band out until I heard the reverb.



    I don't know where power metal fans in general are these days. Old School Black and Death Metal fans are fine with heavy amounts of reverb in the mix (although it usually sounds like shit). The people who buy your albums might want a more "modern" power metal sound though, no clue.

    ValhallaDSP might have some shit you might like. Suitable for drums and other parts of the mix too. They have demos you could try too.

    https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/...-vintage-verb/

  4. #11


    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Location: Sweden
    ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

    iTrader: 0

    THANKS GREG, AND YOU KNOW WHAT!?!?



    I was ACTUALLY listening to Udo "Timebomb" and Warlock "I rule the ruins" to compare the mix a little just before you wrote that



    I wasn't trying to mimick any of them tho, just giving it a comparison


    Defeintely more reverb and effects on guitars on the older stuff.
    I'm kinda 50/50 on that. I like the idea, but I usually end up taking away the effects because I like the definition of dry guitars

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #12


    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Laramie, Wyoming
    ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

    iTrader: 15 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    THANKS GREG, AND YOU KNOW WHAT!?!?



    I was ACTUALLY listening to Udo "Timebomb" and Warlock "I rule the ruins" to compare the mix a little just before you wrote that



    I wasn't trying to mimick any of them tho, just giving it a comparison


    Defeintely more reverb and effects on guitars on the older stuff.
    I'm kinda 50/50 on that. I like the idea, but I usually end up taking away the effects because I like the definition of dry guitars
    Some of the stuff with more reverb that sounds awesome was definitely only possible because there wasn't double bass drumming filling up a ton of space, like Scorpions "Love at First Sting", that's for sure.

    You can probably get some of the lush high end harmonics type sound by using exciters too.

    Are you doing separate mixes for the vinyl and the CD? I believe that's what most people do. Not like, from the ground up separate, but slightly separate.

    But yeah, I agree, you do lose definition. Power Metal is a tricky one because people want like, fucking huge lead vocals too, and the vocalist probably has a specific reverb and delay they like, which makes complications. I've definitely heard way too much Power Metal to list that I felt was too vocal centric. Kai Hansen's voice and the mixing and shit on the Gamma Ray records is a good example of the guitars and vocals having their own space. His voice is kind of like, naturally high passed and restricted to the frequencies that don't step all over guitar. Some power metal I hear is like, "They should have just high passed this vocal somewhere".

  7. #13


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: NJ
    ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Nobody listened because you are wrong.
    Pretty much. Give it a day and Rocka will hate the clip he posted.

  8. #14


    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Laramie, Wyoming
    ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

    iTrader: 15 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Pretty much. Give it a day and Rocka will hate the clip he posted.
    That clip was hardcore Leatherwolf "Street Ready" type vibe, it's not possible to hate.


  9. #15


    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Location: Sweden
    ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Pretty much. Give it a day and Rocka will hate the clip he posted.
    I was right.


    You were among those who said everything would be good if I just "adjusted the velocity".

    But no, that was NEVER the issue (as I tried to explain OVER AND OVER again)

    The issue was the core sounds in SD3, they wasn't recorded or tuned like the 80s drums!

    HOWEVER with this expansion, I DO get the sound I was after.


    NOTHING to do with velocity.

    Admit I was right!

  10. #16


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: NJ
    ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I was right.


    You were among those who said everything would be good if I just "adjusted the velocity".

    But no, that was NEVER the issue (as I tried to explain OVER AND OVER again)

    The issue was the core sounds in SD3, they wasn't recorded or tuned like the 80s drums!

    HOWEVER with this expansion, I DO get the sound I was after.


    NOTHING to do with velocity.

    Admit I was right!
    You have to admit it man. You always figure out things that I already told you a year or 2 ago.
    In the end its not a matter of right or wrong. All of us are trying to help. If you do not agree with a suggestion, its all good, but its not a pissing contest.

    Congrats on the new drums that you will hate next week.

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge