Blah, my MOTU died. - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blah, my MOTU died.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
    I mean if you had a MOTU before and it worked fine then you could just stay with that since it'd basically sound the same theoretically.
    True! But I'm spending a grand or so, I'd like to at least add some snazz or something like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

What else should I be considering?
    Get a saxophone. All real men play them

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Yeah, you're completely spot on. I could honestly get by with an Apogee one if not for the weird form factor and the fact that I don't want cables hanging all over my desk.

Whatever I buy is realistically going to be part of my regular guitar "rig" for 99% of the time too. I have a 5150, and a power amp/cab setup for my Fractal but almost all of my playing these days is through studio monitors. It would be great if Apogee made a mid tier version of the Ensemble. I had an Apogee One in my DI chain back in the day when I recorded more, and the quality of the DIs that it produced compared to my MOTU (and even the USB input on the Fractal) was significant.
    Call'em up, ask them to make one for you. "Look, I'm an engineer, you guys are engineers, clearly we can make this work..."

Worst case scenario, they say no.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I don't like their red color scheme. This is my office, my desk has 4U of rack space in it. I'll be staring at whatever I buy all the time.

Edit: I will agree that this is a silly reason, but it is a reason all the same.
    You should post that picture on a recording forum and ask them to critique your monitor set up, the responses would be fucking hilarious.

That Speaker on its side on top of the cab is also going to give recording purists aneurysms. You're supposed to isolate them from vibration, not put them on top of a 4x12.

The "on its side" shit is actually serious business. I actually managed to catch that in my own set up before anyone could be like, "what the fuck is this amateur shit?". I always thought it looked kind of cool, but if you do that in front of any hardcore audio sort you will get chewed the fuck out. Since the interior crossover and speaker/tweeter setup and all that shit results in different frequencies getting sent to different speakers with different physical locations, you are creating serious phase issues because on your left and right channel the speaker handling the highs and the one handling the lows are at two different spots on the horizontal plane. Yours aren't even symmetrical, on one side the tweeter is closer, and on the other it's farther. Bass below a certain frequency isn't positional, so theoretically some sorts of speakers can go anywhere, subwoofers and all that shit, but the "on its side" config is sacrilege to the "serious business audio engineer" crowd.

The only way this picture would get a stronger response from audio purists is if one of the speakers was physically on fire.

*Some monitors are designed to sit horizontally of course, but conventional wisdom is "never put monitors on their sides" for the majority of designs/configs/situations.

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

I don't like their red color scheme. This is my office, my desk has 4U of rack space in it. I'll be staring at whatever I buy all the time.

Edit: I will agree that this is a silly reason, but it is a reason all the same.
    The new Saffire is all black fronted, so you won't notice the red in a rack, and it's Type C USB 3, so it'll still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    You should post that picture on a recording forum and ask them to critique your monitor set up, the responses would be fucking hilarious.
    Joke's on them, I don't actually mix anything anyway!

I had isolations and treatments in my last home studio. They're definitely useful if you record/mix stuff, but I play guitar for about an hour week these days at most and I haven't given a shit about mixing in years. Most of what comes out of my monitors is sports talk radio and tech podcasts.

The key to my br00tal sound is the Pack & Play bro. Once you harness the power of a screaming 1 year old, your recordings will be next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    The new Saffire is all black fronted, so you won't notice the red in a rack, and it's Type C USB 3, so it'll still work.
    Hmm, I can't find that on their website. Is it actually new, or do you mean the old discontinued one?

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Joke's on them, I don't actually mix anything anyway!

I had isolations and treatments in my last home studio. They're definitely useful if you record/mix stuff, but I play guitar for about an hour week these days at most and I haven't given a shit about mixing in years. Most of what comes out of my monitors is sports talk radio and tech podcasts.

The key to my br00tal sound is the Pack & Play bro. Once you harness the power of a screaming 1 year old, your recordings will be next level.
    The issues you are introducing to sports talk radio and tech podcasts by having your monitors sideways are subtlety degrading your quality of life, even if you don't know it.

Apparently everyone who has ever bought monitors has done the sideways thing, because "is it ok to put monitors on their side" is a popular google search. And some manuals come with pages with diagrams with big red Xs and things about "if you absolutely have to put them on their side even though they are specifically designed to be vertical".

But after you google "is it ok to put monitors on their sides", you evolve to the next phase of monitor placement evolution, the "quickly make sure all my speakers are upright and act like I never put a monitor sideways" phase.

That's like, 90% of audio engineering, finding out you are doing something wrong, fixing it so no one will notice, and loudly proclaiming, "HA, THAT'S A LARK THAT ANYBODY WOULD DO SUCH AN INCREDIBLY FOOLISH THING. AT LEAST I NEVER DID THIS FOOLISH THING.".