Blah, my MOTU died. - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Blah, my MOTU died.

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    The Kemper is supposed to have high end converters, going out SPDIF to 18i8. 18i8 is just taking in the digital signal right? Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

The Kemper has a lot of blinky lights ��
    Oh no, you're totally right. The digital from the Kemper to the Focusrite is rock solid. I meant when you're playing back your mixes, I'm assuming you're listening to it through your speakers plugged into the 18i8. I know nothing about that unit, so the D/A there could be absolutely fantastic, I just meant that in a more obviously shitty interface (like a Toneport or a Tascam), your playback is going to sound appreciably shittier than the actual quality of the recording because the processing from DAW out to the speakers is bad. That's going to effect your mix because you're setting levels based on an inaccurate EQ on playback.

Like I said, I'm far from an expert but I remember mixing something and then burning it to a disc or playing it back on my phone in the car and it sounding like trash, and nothing like it did when I had it in the DAW. A decent, transparent interface made the biggest difference in that specific context.
    I mix on 20+ year old Labtech computer speakers plugged into my laptop. I have monitors that are only on when I record.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    I mix on 20+ year old Labtech computer speakers plugged into my laptop. I have monitors that are only on when I record.
    Inexpensive PC speakers are what 90% of the world listens to music on anyway. It's rare that I actually bother to turn my monitors on to listen to tunes.

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Inexpensive PC speakers are what 90% of the world listens to music on anyway. It's rare that I actually bother to turn my monitors on to listen to tunes.
    I buy tons of gear, spend years tone chasing and mixing, completely suck at playing guitar, just to have a handful of people listen to my crap anyway. You, Rocka and maybe 1-2 of my old band mates listen. And you know they listen just to talk shit behind my back anyway. Isn't that what all ex band members do?