Simple mixing tip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple mixing tip

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

Simple mixing tip

This might be a known thing. But I am very stupid and just discovered it. When your computer is feeling the hit of running several plugins at once, disable your internet connection. Its amazing how much shit is updating in the background hogging up your juice. I hope this helps at least one person and I am not a complete dumb ass for not thinking of it sooner.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

How old/congested with spyware and shitty programs is your computer? That really shouldn't make that much of a difference on modern multi-core CPUs. RAM and SSDs and all that will make way more of a difference. Unless you have every single updater running and a bunch of shit like McAffee antivirus and spyware and shit the hit shouldn't be that big.

It would more likely be firewall settings or something like that. Get CCleaner and fix issues in your registry and disable all the shit that automatically starts every time you start your computer and all that.

I don't know what DAW you use, but REAPER has a "performance" display, I configure it into the bottom. The only plugins that really tax it are shit like Native Instruments Kontakt. You can run like, 16 separate instances of amp sims on most modern computers before you will actually start to take a hit.

Disabling the internet connection isn't actually going to do much of anything. You are much better off downloading CCleaner and messing around with what automated tasks and shit launch at startup. There's a lot of shit that can affect how well your stuff runs, including how fastidious you are with optimization and computer hygene and all that, but just disabling the internet isn't the best way to treat that, that might treat some of the problems in a round about way somehow, but it's not addressing the root cause. There are a lot of intricacies sure, some plugins won't run unless you are running the daw .exe as an administrator and shit like that, but disabling the internet isn't the way to treat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    How old/congested with spyware and shitty programs is your computer? That really shouldn't make that much of a difference on modern multi-core CPUs. RAM and SSDs and all that will make way more of a difference. Unless you have every single updater running and a bunch of shit like McAffee antivirus and spyware and shit the hit shouldn't be that big.

It would more likely be firewall settings or something like that. Get CCleaner and fix issues in your registry and disable all the shit that automatically starts every time you start your computer and all that.

I don't know what DAW you use, but REAPER has a "performance" display, I configure it into the bottom. The only plugins that really tax it are shit like Native Instruments Kontakt. You can run like, 16 separate instances of amp sims on most modern computers before you will actually start to take a hit.

Disabling the internet connection isn't actually going to do much of anything. You are much better off downloading CCleaner and messing around with what automated tasks and shit launch at startup. There's a lot of shit that can affect how well your stuff runs, including how fastidious you are with optimization and computer hygene and all that, but just disabling the internet isn't the best way to treat that, that might treat some of the problems in a round about way somehow, but it's not addressing the root cause. There are a lot of intricacies sure, some plugins won't run unless you are running the daw .exe as an administrator and shit like that, but disabling the internet isn't the way to treat that.
    I run tons of shit at a time and it leaves very little wiggle room. The internet puts it over the edge. Non essential startups are disabled. You do realize how intense chrome is on a PC right? It eats up everything

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Your 6 FX is nothing

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Create a seperate user that you only use for music and disable everything for that user?

Quote Originally Posted by astrocreep View Post
    Create a seperate user that you only use for music and disable everything for that user?
    Thats a great idea. Thanks

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Your 6 FX is nothing

Do you not know about the "subproject" feature? That's there specifically so you can Render/Freeze tracks and you don't waste unnecessary horsepower on applying FX to the drums in real time when the part you are working on is the guitars. 6 FX is for the "master" section. Each part is its own subproject.

That was a great addition, of course you can accomplish the same thing by rendering and freezing, but the subproject functionality is fantastic once you start using it.

Running the instances of FX on parts in real time when you aren't actually working on that part is pointless. You should be rendering/freezing those down to stems or use the subproject method of rendering/freezing.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Haha yes I know this.

I was trying to record a drummer a few days ago, and Cubase continued to freeze and make noises and nothing worked.

The next day when I was recording some other stuff, I had put my laptop offline... Oh, behold. No issues anymore

Should have thought about that when the poor drummer wasted a whole day for nothing