Looking for direction on studio monitors - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for direction on studio monitors

ME: USA Strat/LP, TAM10
    MB: Ibanez SR305
    Rig: Randall Satan

I'd go no smaller than an 8" driver. I just switched to a pair of JBL 308P MkII after using KRK for years and couldn't be happier.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    Must say, I do quite like the Adams. Another thought I had, and it's probably a bit unconventional as I don't know how popular they were (or if they still make them) but the SE Electronic Munros were really good, but they do look weird.

Yeah they do.

No experience with those, but I've used a few of their mics that I've been VERY impressed with.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL

Mids usually suck on 8"ers which is just something you have to keep in mind so you check with something that has better mids like a set of headphones.

The amps on my Rokit 8 G2s are starting to go since KRK is a garbage company and I can't make up my mind what to go for either. Both of my Rokit 6 G2s I used for rears are completely dead now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: '87 Duesenberg
    Rig: MP-2 + TSR-24S + Vortex

If you're going to work on acoustics and need to hear the most minute detail, like an unevenly polished finger nail scratching the nylon string on a classic guitar, the details in how the bow is rasping string on the violin, the horny sax player getting an even hornier breath due to the ladies at first row, then the Adams are great.
    Else, I found them way too over-detailed, and unbearable coping with for longer listens.

The NS10, as mentioned, are loved because they'll let you judge how it sounds for ordinary people without a sexy setup. Important, of course.

I had a set of Mackie HR624 MKII's, which I loved till the bank did us part, and would happily buy again.
    I had listened to their bigger brother, the HR824, and bought them untested from a studio shop in London, purely from a review by one of SoundOnSound's chief testers, whose ways I knew. As he referred them, they translates well to other gear..
    One caveat, though, they're difficult setting up close to corners and in too small rooms - proper sound treatment is a must.

Used Tannoys are pretty good too.
    Last edited by vansinn; 12-10-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    Know Thy Self. Know Thy Law. Do What Thou Wilt.
    But it's buggy! - It's software, dummy, it's a feature..

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
    Mids usually suck on 8"ers which is just something you have to keep in mind so you check with something that has better mids like a set of headphones.

The amps on my Rokit 8 G2s are starting to go since KRK is a garbage company and I can't make up my mind what to go for either. Both of my Rokit 6 G2s I used for rears are completely dead now.
    At this price point, sure. But let's keep in mind that in the sub-$500-a-speaker world we're still deeply in prosumer territory and that pretty much anything is going to be a compromise somehow, and an 8" is less of a compromise than a 5.5", since midrange reproduction is going to be imperfect on anything, and at least you HAVE flat low end.

One of these days I'll bite the bullet and drop a couple grand on monitors, but I'm probably not bothering until I have a better room to work in.

Quote Originally Posted by vansinn View Post
    The NS10, as mentioned, are loved because they'll let you judge how it sounds for ordinary people without a sexy setup. Important, of course.
    There's more to it than that... The NS10s have a bit of a midrange peak to them, so they tend to force people mixing on them to compensate for that. Compensating for a midrange peak basically leaves you with a loudness curve in your mix, which is why they were so popular - the joke went if you could make a mix sound good on them, it'd sound good on anything. Of course, that may be less true today, now that loudness curves are themselves a lot more common in consumer grade stereo speakers.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

In your budget I'd go Adam 5". The recommendation for an 8" driver is fine, if it's a good driver and you have a big enough room and you have some acoustic treatment. In your budget you can get a much better monitor in the 5 inch format.

The vast majority of musical information is in the mid range and high end. So the vast majority of critical decisions you need to make are in the mids and highs. The Adams are flat to 50hz. The only things that low are the lowest string on a bass (4 string) and the rumble from kicks and floor toms. And just because it's not linear below 50, doesn't mean there's no information down there at all, it's just not flat.

Also, the Kali 8" is flat to 45, the Presonus to 40, the Yamaha is "flat" to 35, but in experience it's hyped and flabby that low... so in this price range you don't get much more bass than the 5". To get another octave of bass the monitor would have to go down to 25hz, which no 8" can do.

The Focals are flat to 35, which on paper is better, but I've never heard them.

Don't forget that if you find you need the low end response, you can add a sub later.

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL

For budget monitors, seems like JBL LSR305 and Kali are recommended models to go for now. I was talking to a brand with some support for buying optimal setup for your room and they specifically recommended against me buying their larger models for my size room like bogner boi said up above.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
    JBL LSR305
    That's what I'm rolling, only 50% because of the budget, 50% because the little wavey thingies next to the tweeters are designed to disrupt the way they project so that they're more nuanced for guys like me using them pointed right at my head without sound treatment. I'm very happy with them.
    Argbadh - RHLC©