Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best interface for DI/amp sims

ME: Sterling JP70
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: MB TriAxis > 50/50

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    UAD = Apogee = RME > Audient >>>> Focusrite IME

Your main concern here will be AD/DA. The top three are in close to the same ballpark, the Audient is VERY close especially for the price, the Scarlett stuff gets into the territory of starting to color the sound based on my research and experience. None of it is as significant if you're not getting into mic pres but still, I'd take any of the top 3 there or the Audient if I'm on a budget, and I'd sooner go used or spend the extra $80-$100 on any of those than the Scarlett. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/images/smilies/2pennies.gif[/IMG]
    Does the Scarlett noticeably color the sound if you are just micing up a cab or DI’ing an amp through a load box? Or is this only a big problem when doing all this fancy shit?
    [Leon] 10:03 pm: She can poop on my chest anyday

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

@Rocka Good point. I guess it depends a lot on how you're planning on using it. When I built my rig, I was ideally looking to DI tracks so I can fire off ideas at 3am and potentially use those same recordings as finished tracks eventually, and re-amp them with a live amp down the road IF that's the route I decided to go.

But yeah, if you're going to do everything inside the Kemper or you're going to just render VSTs for your finished tracks, the AD/DA things isn't a huge deal. I definitely was getting a 'blurry' and somewhat inaccurate playback when trying to mix on some 'meh' interfaces though.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by zepp View Post
    Does the Scarlett noticeably color the sound if you are just micing up a cab or DI’ing an amp through a load box? Or is this only a big problem when doing all this fancy shit?
    The gen 1 Scarletts had terrible mic preamps. I didn't look much into how they sounded through the 1/4" in but I wasn't a fan of their DA for mixing either. HOWEVER, each subsequent revision, they've bragged about improving both, so they may be pretty good by now. I had a Saffire around the same time and both the mic inputs and the DA output were noticeably better, so it's not like Focusrite can't make good gear. I got the impression the first gen Scarletts were all about budget and nothing else, but it sounds like they put more attention to detail in based on how popular they became.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Sterling JP70
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: MB TriAxis > 50/50

Quote Originally Posted by zepp View Post
    The gen 1 Scarletts had terrible mic preamps. I didn't look much into how they sounded through the 1/4" in but I wasn't a fan of their DA for mixing either. HOWEVER, each subsequent revision, they've bragged about improving both, so they may be pretty good by now. I had a Saffire around the same time and both the mic inputs and the DA output were noticeably better, so it's not like Focusrite can't make good gear. I got the impression the first gen Scarletts were all about budget and nothing else, but it sounds like they put more attention to detail in based on how popular they became. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/images/smilies/2pennies.gif[/IMG]
    Thanks for the info.

ME: Kramer Baretta
    MA: PRS Angelus Alex Lifeson

I recently went from the Scarlett version 1 to version 3, and it's a very noticeable difference.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

UAD = Apogee = RME > Audient >>>> Focusrite IME

Your main concern here will be AD/DA. The top three are in close to the same ballpark, the Audient is VERY close especially for the price, the Scarlett stuff gets into the territory of starting to color the sound based on my research and experience. None of it is as significant if you're not getting into mic pres but still, I'd take any of the top 3 there or the Audient if I'm on a budget, and I'd sooner go used or spend the extra $80-$100 on any of those than the Scarlett.
    Listen to Randy.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

Yep. If you're wanting an all-in-one specifically for DIs, then UAD or Apogee is the way to go. Their Hi-Z inputs are of a higher grade than the low-end inputs. Then if you get UAD you can also buy their plugins, which probably doesn't matter to you but I'm still pissy about the fact their Engl Savage sim is walled off to those without UA hardware and it's the only one worth a shit.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

ME: RG560
    Rig: DV Mark/Orange

Quote Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
    I recently went from the Scarlett version 1 to version 3, and it's a very noticeable difference.
    Did they ever fix the clipping issue? I have a 2nd gen with the pad switches and even with the input gain all the way down it still comes uncomfortably close to clipping with any remotely hot pickups.