Best interface for DI/amp sims
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best interface for DI/amp sims

Rig: 6505MH

Best interface for DI/amp sims

I’m looking for an interface, and I want to record guitar DI using amp sims/VST’s. If it will make a big difference I can also purchase a separate DI box, but I prefer not to. Just looking for the best quality interface for guitar DI and amp sims. Top suggestions I see are Focusrite (Scarlett), Audient (iD series), RME (only thing I could afford is baby face used but likely out of my price range), apogee (one, duet) and UAD (arrow, Apollo). My budget max is in the $300’s. In your experience, for what I’m looking for what is the best interface you’ve used?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Maybe this? It's specifically designed for guitar use... And it actually has built-in ability to reamp externally in case you wanna do that, and you dont have to buy something like the Radial Reamp boxes

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...interface.html

Rig: 6505MH

I thought about something like that, but I was thinking more along the lines of a “traditional” interface, in case I get the wild urge to do some vocals also. Bus powered also preferred, but not required.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

UAD = Apogee = RME > Audient >>>> Focusrite IME

Your main concern here will be AD/DA. The top three are in close to the same ballpark, the Audient is VERY close especially for the price, the Scarlett stuff gets into the territory of starting to color the sound based on my research and experience. None of it is as significant if you're not getting into mic pres but still, I'd take any of the top 3 there or the Audient if I'm on a budget, and I'd sooner go used or spend the extra $80-$100 on any of those than the Scarlett.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by drache713 View Post
    I thought about something like that, but I was thinking more along the lines of a “traditional” interface, in case I get the wild urge to do some vocals also. Bus powered also preferred, but not required.
    Dont worry. There are microphone inputs on the back of it

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    UAD = Apogee = RME > Audient >>>> Focusrite IME

Your main concern here will be AD/DA. The top three are in close to the same ballpark, the Audient is VERY close especially for the price, the Scarlett stuff gets into the territory of starting to color the sound based on my research and experience. None of it is as significant if you're not getting into mic pres but still, I'd take any of the top 3 there or the Audient if I'm on a budget, and I'd sooner go used or spend the extra $80-$100 on any of those than the Scarlett.
    I actually bought an RME UCX when I wanted to get a "best of the best" interface after years and years after having a Tascam US1641.

I made a comparison of the mic pres and guitar DI signal and... It wasn't that different honestly.
    The performance wasn't that much better either, and I have a decent laptop and stationary computer.

It was close enough to make me return the RME interface and return to my Tascam.

And I have good hearing so I can hear small differences if there are any... Anybody saying there's a "huge difference" between these are just exaggerating. Difference? Sure. Huge? Fuck no.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    And I have good hearing so I can hear small differences if there are any... Anybody saying there's a "huge difference" between these are just exaggerating. Difference? Sure. Huge? Fuck no.
    Oh, they're minor differences but when you're talking about DI'ing and re-amping, mixing and remixing, etc. you're talking about the signal passing AD/DA several times over. If you're just plugging a guitar into the interface and listening to playback, it's not going to be as exaggerated as guitar into interface, played backed through cable into amp and recorded over mic back into computer, then mixing based on what you're hearing there.

Except I can skip all that AD/DA shit with SPDIF which I'm using for connecting with Kemper reamping isn't degraded that way