Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Guitar Pro triplets? Help?

22K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
So i always found a work around and never actually figured out the right way to do this. I want to do a basic triplet. 3 notes on 1 beat of a 4/4 bar. EVERY place i look has some asshole that says "hit the triplet button idiot". Ok, well, i can click the triplet button, but how do i represent 3 1/16th notes to one beat? It doesn't evenly fit in there. I thought about changing time sig, but I'm not sure how that helps with out also changing the tempo which was always my work around. NO WHERE fucking explains this well. Also, when you explain, I'm not hip to theory, so try to actually explain it instead of giving me some other confusing explanation that I also wouldn't follow.
(i.e. "One eight note triplet is a quarter note in length.
A triplet = 3 notes played the duration of 2 notes of the source length.
An eight note triplet = 2 eight notes = one quarter note."
I under stand what hes saying, but how the fuck do i apply that to guitar pro?)

#2 ·
#3 ·
I know that, but my problem is that i'm trying to get 3 notes to fit into one beat. There is no way to divide it into three with the note options they provide. I end up with .75 of the full 1 count but its supposed to last the entirety of that one beat. So i can click the triplet button, but thats not solving the issue that timewise, i can only choose 3 notes that only take up 3/4 of that one beat. How do i get it to divide that into 3 notes that fit into the 1 beat and THEN hit the triplet. Just hitting the triplet button now makes that next part that is supposed to start on the 2nd beat actually start at .75 of the first beat.

#4 ·
Do i need to make it like 8/4 and divvy it into smaller pieces or something? My old workaround was to just single out the triplet, change the time sig, and change the tempo for that one piece, then bump the tempo back up on the next bar which dosent seem like the "right"way to do that.

For example, my solution is to double the tempo here and useing different divisions of notes so it goes from .75 to 1.5 and then I change the time sig accordingly, and basically making a whole new bar for someting that is supposed to be PART of a riff so it fucks tabbing everything else down the line weird. which seems ass backwards. Never using the triplet button and not even understanding how to incorporate it. Try finding info to explain it. I certainly cant find any anywhere that explains it.

Thanks for the help by the way

#5 ·
If you open the Palette, right under the notes, there is a -8- button Do that for each of the notes you want to become the triplet. I just checked it and it works. I started with quarter notes, made the triplet (2 beats), then changed the notes to 16th notes, and it worked for me.

#9 ·
It depends on if it's an actual triplet or just 3 16ths and a rest. If your doing fear factory style machine gunnery it's likely 3 16ths then a 16th rest = 1 of your 4 count bar.

Older versions of gp seemed to make this sound a lot better than the current one does though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.