New Neural DSP Fortin Cali - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Neural DSP Fortin Cali

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Thing is if you buy 3 VSTs from them you are basically in Helix Stomp price range. For me makes no sense at all, doesn't meant they dont sound good, they do but the return value its not justifiable at all.
    Yeah that is where I am at also.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Thing is if you buy 3 VSTs from them you are basically in Helix Stomp price range. For me makes no sense at all, doesn't meant they dont sound good, they do but the return value its not justifiable at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    Yeah that is where I am at also.
    Depends on where your interest is, really. Either amp matching VST software or a pedal. I've also got TH-U and they release a shit ton of amp match presets, usually at $20 for a big pack. I know I got an amp match of the Nolly amps in Bias Amp within a couple weeks of when it came out. There are definitely options outside of plunking down full price on VSTs you can't take with you and you'll only use one preset on. I think Mooer and Hotone are doing some budget friendly amp matching pedals these days also. The Fortin Cali has been around long enough, I'm sure there's somewhere else you can get that sound.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Depends on where your interest is, really.
    That's the thing for me. I'm studio-only, so the only piece of guitar gear that sits on my floor is the continuous control pedal (read: wah) going into my AFX2.

I've had a much easier time getting guitar sounds in my mixes since switching to VSTs rather than reamping through the AFX2. The VSTs allow me to dial in doubled guitars in context, rather than having to guess on a single track and then start all over if the tone doesn't work when doubled. Plus, I inevitably go back and tweeze the guitar sounds many times as my mixes evolve.

I now mostly use the AFX2 as a latency-free guitar front-end into my DAW, where I can monitor with proper guitar sounds while I'm tracking.

For me, the Neural plug-ins are the first ones I've tried that have Fractal-quality sound.

The main thing I haven't found from them yet been a great Marshall crunch sound. The crunch channel in Plini is good, but it's still a little 'hi-fi' compared to a Marshall/greenbacks setup. the Granophyre plug-in is more more convincingly grainy at mid-gain, but it still is kinda brittle the way hi-gain amps can be when you dial back the preamp too far.

Nolly's VST has this weird gap between the crunch amp and the 5150-ish amp. You have to dime everything on the crunch (including the drive pedal) to get into Satriani territory, and it loses its personality, but the 5150-ish amp doesn't come alive until you're gainier than you want for that sound.

I wish Ola's video here wasn't entirely detuned and oversaturated stuff. I'll probably demo the Cali myself this weekend on a song I've been mixing seemingly forever and see what happens. I'll post here if I get anything good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

It blows my mind how good these plug-ins keep becoming.
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post

For me, the Neural plug-ins are the first ones I've tried that have Fractal-quality sound.
    I never played with a Fractal but all the demos I see and hear in YT makes me drool and want one, I put myself on the waiting list the the FM3 some time ago

Helix is really cool but... I dont think its yet on the same level as the Fractal stuff. Ok its much less expensive for sure and it offers a lot too (much more than I even deserve) , but it's not the same to my ears. Also their Amps sound a bit like all the same with different EQs (speaking about the VST)

Neural VSTs really sound great, they are really expensive but they do sound great.

This Cali one is making me buy it. I played with it yesterday for some hours and damn... Crunching crunching sound. Dino Cazares presets are Thrashy AF and I'm even using a modified one he did (Machette). It's bad they didnt put a simple Delay/Reverb in there and I "complained" about it on their FB page.

Lets see how I get along with it during this next week, if my happiness continues I will buy it.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

This Cali one is making me buy it. I played with it yesterday for some hours and damn... Crunching crunching sound. Dino Cazares presets are Thrashy AF and I'm even using a modified one he did (Machette). It's bad they didnt put a simple Delay/Reverb in there and I "complained" about it on their FB page.

Lets see how I get along with it during this next week, if my happiness continues I will buy it.
    Same here. I'm getting some really good results so far in my mix of "Sincere Flattery" (there's another thread here for that...). Classic EL34 crunch. Seems to sit in my mix with less effort than the Granophyre, both for rhythms and leads.

I'm even going to try it on a Tele clean-ish track I have in this song, which is just adding a top voicing and chime to the rhythm guitars and isn't meant to be prominent. I've kept that with the Plini VST through all my experiments with this song, so far. I've never been a big fan of EL34 clean sounds, but I'll see what I can do with the Cali on this track.

Neural does good delay and reverbs in the Archetype plug-ins, but for me the lack of a compressor stomp at the front end is a bigger drawback. Almost any rock clean sound needs a heavy dose of compression, and having to stick another plug-in before the amp vst is kind of a pain.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    That's the thing for me. I'm studio-only, so the only piece of guitar gear that sits on my floor is the continuous control pedal (read: wah) going into my AFX2.

I've had a much easier time getting guitar sounds in my mixes since switching to VSTs rather than reamping through the AFX2. The VSTs allow me to dial in doubled guitars in context, rather than having to guess on a single track and then start all over if the tone doesn't work when doubled. Plus, I inevitably go back and tweeze the guitar sounds many times as my mixes evolve.

I now mostly use the AFX2 as a latency-free guitar front-end into my DAW, where I can monitor with proper guitar sounds while I'm tracking.

The main thing I haven't found from them yet been a great Marshall crunch sound.
    That’s where the Fractal stuff really shines IMO. The Axe absolutely slays that JCM sound we all love. Which is good, because while almost everyone loves that tone, nobody ever actually buys a JCM900.

Very good cleans there and some crunchy ones too on a Strat