Good metal songs that the production was serious lacking? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Good metal songs that the production was serious lacking?

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Black Sabbath's Born Again. Amazing album. As a huge fan of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath it's actually an all time favorite.

The production is so bad that most people prefer the demo versions, that also sound terrible, to the actual album.

Any of the newer Iron Maiden albums where Steve Harris has at some point told Kevin Shirley, "I like it like it sounds right now, don't do anything else, this is going to be the mix we release". That started with Dance of Death, that was never meant to be the final mix. It was as unfinished as the terrible album cover, which was also a rough unfinished version.

I fucking adore Steve Harris. He's my idol. He's also a 50+ year old man who has been playing loud stages his entire life and obviously has hearing damage. Every album from Dance of Death on has suffered from him deciding at some point before the album is finished he likes how it sounds and it should be released as is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The worst Maiden album IMO.
    No Prayer was done at Steve Harris's (then) newly constructed farm thing. You can see the facilities in the video for Holy Smoke.

http://<a href="https://www.youtube....PV4jlOlWjA</a>

No Prayer is underrated in the sense that I don't agree with the people who say it's worse than Fear of the Dark, purely on the basis of a couple tracks. It's not on the level of the first four Bruce era albums, but it's not actually worse than Fear of the Dark. No Prayer has 4-5 tracks that are total shit, 2 that are mediocre. It has the highest concentration of shit tracks on any classic era Bruce album. Public Enema Number One is a great song though, in spite of the terrible title.

Hooks in You is also awesome. Although it took like, a fucking decade to grow on me. It isn't amazing right out of the gate. In fact it kind of sucks right out of the gate. With the cowbell and all that. But 1:50 is brilliant. Actually one of the best things Iron Maiden has done. It took me for fucking ever to realize that.

That's the Iron Maiden track it took me the longest to get. Up to 1:50 it's like, "this is terrible", but 1:50 changes the entire song. With it, the entire thing makes more sense. It's one of those songs where large parts aren't actually good on their own, but they work with the way it changes. The part at 1:50 and when it reprises at 3:40 are both fucking amazing.

It's a challenge to give Hooks in You a fair chance though, that's for sure, the song starts with fucking cowbell.

ME: EBMM/PRS
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I dunno i think the death catalogue has a bit of a signature sound as opposed to sounding 'bad' maybe just not some peoples taste.
    Death are probably my favourite metal band of all time, so maybe I've just got used to the production now. But I don't immediately listen and hate it like I do with the early Suffocation albums and the Carcass albums before Necroticism.

ITP is the most annoying to me, but Andy LaRocque makes up for any production shortcomings.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Death are probably my favourite metal band of all time, so maybe I've just got used to the production now. But I don't immediately listen and hate it like I do with the early Suffocation albums and the Carcass albums before Necroticism.

ITP is the most annoying to me, but Andy LaRocque makes up for any production shortcomings.
    I personally don't hate any of the albums I mentioned before. In fact, many of them are among my favorites, but I do understand the complaints people have had for them for years. I think the first time I accepted (to some degree) what the haters were saying was when I heard the remixes of the Cynic Focus tracks, which I thought sounded way better than the originals. And arguably they could have sounded even better than the remixes if they'd had a good budget and a magical dream team of producers, mixers, masterererererers, and so on.

But like a lot of people in this thread, I just accept how they sound as the way they "should" sound, but I think they would sound a lot better if they'd had the budget and personnel for better production.

Now that I think about it, people might find it kind of a weird contradiction that a lot of my favorite albums have so-called poor production, but my favorite kind of production is what a lot of haters call "over-polished" or "over-produced." But I see zero contradiction there. I like to polish up music as much as possible, so I don't think "over-polished" or "over-produced" exists. No such thing.

ME: RG550
    Rig: Axe-Fx Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post

Hooks in You is also awesome. Although it took like, a fucking decade to grow on me. It isn't amazing right out of the gate. In fact it kind of sucks right out of the gate. With the cowbell and all that. But 1:50 is brilliant. Actually one of the best things Iron Maiden has done. It took me for fucking ever to realize that.

That's the Iron Maiden track it took me the longest to get. Up to 1:50 it's like, "this is terrible", but 1:50 changes the entire song. With it, the entire thing makes more sense. It's one of those songs where large parts aren't actually good on their own, but they work with the way it changes. The part at 1:50 and when it reprises at 3:40 are both fucking amazing.

It's a challenge to give Hooks in You a fair chance though, that's for sure, the song starts with fucking cowbell.
    I've always liked Hooks in You as a song; IIRC it was the last thing Adrian co-wrote before he left the band, and you can definitely hear that.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Black Sabbath - Shock Wave

Never Say Die! has atrocious production, even though I think it's overall a strong (and underrated) album.

Tony's guitar sounds really weird on this album. He was using a John Birch all-maple neckthru SG at the time that had hilariously overwound pickups, and this was the last album where he used his old Laney with the built-in treble booster mod. The combo was just an awful, brittle sound, which marred Technical Ecstacy too, but not to this degree.

Although Tony kept using the John Birch for several years after that, he was experimenting with different amps starting with Heaven & Hell. Having Martin Birch behind the board for the next two albums also helped a lot, as Tony had been producing before that.

Combine that with Bill Ward's constant bashing of open cymbals on every single song, and I don't there's any way a good mix of this album could have happened. It's just one big trebly, washy mess.

This is coupled with the problem of the original LP being the only totally decent master I've heard. More recent CDs are horribly brickwalled, the original '80s U.S. Warner Bros. CD is unbearably bright, and the '80s West German Vertigo CD is better but lacking some presence.

ME: RG550
    Rig: Axe-Fx Ultra

I don't think there's any 70's distorted guitar tone I like except Van Halen's.

Quote Originally Posted by Valtteri View Post
    I don't think there's any 70's distorted guitar tone I like except Van Halen's.
    That's why he IS the man. He created the Modern Tone and the Superstrat and the Shredding that is still sought after almost 40 years later . Sure there was Shredding before but not like what he was doing. He will be forever a Legend.