Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Slate Drums 5.5 On Sale for $99

719 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  1 
#1 ·
https://stevenslatedrums.com/ssd5/

I've been a big fan of EZDrummer 2 for the last few years and it's served me well, however, I've always found it fairly limited in what can be done to modify drum sounds. Really, you can't, outside of changing the kit pieces. I'm downloading all 20G of the Slate stuff now and am looking forward to checking it out. I'm still a few more years away from having a big enough house to fit a drum set in to actually mic up, so it's programmed drums for now. Just hoping the learning curve isn't ridiculous with this. I write 95% of my drum tracks and rarely rely on MIDI's, so knowing I can just write in a piano roll should work just fine.

#2 ·
I have SD2, BFD3 and SSD5, and 95% of the time I end up using SSD5 in the final mix. It just works. Most of the kits have a lot of processing baked in (the exceptions being the "Deluxe 1" kits that were originally rolled out with SSD4). This can be good or bad. For folks who like to mix drums from very raw recordings, you're better off with SD3 or BFD3, while SSD5 typically gets you to the final result with less work.

For me, the only downside of SSD5 comes with genres that need really detailed and 'in your face' cymbals, such as jazz. The SSD5 cymbals sit nicely in a rock mix, but they don't sparkle or have the fine level of detail that you want in a jazz mix. For jazz stuff, I typically go with BFD3, which has fantastic cymbals.

I didn't even know about the 5.5 update, and it came out a couple months ago. Some nice new features. I'll have to check it out this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.