Time to upgrade my interface.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to upgrade my interface.

ME: PRS Holcomb
    MB: Fender Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Dual Rectifier 2ch

Time to upgrade my interface.

Ive been using a Steinberg UR12 for the last 5 years or so, it's what I started with when I first got into recording. But over that time I think my "studio" has out grown it and it's time to upgrade. When I got it I never thought I'd need more then 1 channel. I only wanted to be able to record ideas for a band I was trying to form at the time. The other guitar player had a well set up studio already so I just needed something cheap. But as time went on I obviously got better at writing & recording, I've accumulated a lot more gear and started using mics. At the very least I need 2 channels. I'd like to be able to record a DI track and a speaker cab, and I'd also like to start messing with using two mic's.
    Im leaning towards the focusrite 2i2. It seems to get decent reviews and it's the right price. And to be honest I don't really know of any other brands in that price that's decent quality. I'd be ok spending more if it gets me better results, but from what I've seen its a big jump in price from the focusrite to something better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: WTB BC Rich Warlock
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

Quote Originally Posted by Madmardigan View Post
    Ive been using a Steinberg UR12 for the last 5 years or so, it's what I started with when I first got into recording. But over that time I think my "studio" has out grown it and it's time to upgrade. When I got it I never thought I'd need more then 1 channel. I only wanted to be able to record ideas for a band I was trying to form at the time. The other guitar player had a well set up studio already so I just needed something cheap. But as time went on I obviously got better at writing & recording, I've accumulated a lot more gear and started using mics. At the very least I need 2 channels. I'd like to be able to record a DI track and a speaker cab, and I'd also like to start messing with using two mic's.
    Im leaning towards the focusrite 2i2. It seems to get decent reviews and it's the right price. And to be honest I don't really know of any other brands in that price that's decent quality. I'd be ok spending more if it gets me better results, but from what I've seen its a big jump in price from the focusrite to something better.
    Focusrite stuff is reliable. I never used the 2i2 but I had the 8preX that served me well. I switched to PC awhile back and could no longer use the 8preX because of incompatibility. On top of that I just kinda got tired of the Focusrite stuff, the mixer software for it was weird and maybe I didn't like the red color Nothing was wrong with it though, solid brand. I had to revert back to my old M-Audio Profire 610 for awhile there while I was deciding on a new purchase, and I'll just say fuck M-Audio, issue after issue with that brand, not to mention terrible customer service. That particular unit served its purpose when I first got into recording but other than that, STAY AWAY.

When shopping for a new interface I knew exactly what I was looking for, something with 2 or more mic pres that could easily connect to rack unit mic preamps for a portable full band recording solution that doubles as my home studio setup. I settled on the Audient iD44https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...--audient-id44 and paired it with their ASP880 mic preamp rack unit. I'm super happy with the Audient stuff, suits my needs perfectly at the moment. High quality/price ratio.
    Other units that interested me in the 2i2 pricerange were:
    Motu M4 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface
    SSL 2+ https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface
    Audient iD14 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...--audient-id14

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

My focusrite saffire pro40 lasted me 12 years. I bought a Universal Audio interface, but wish I'd stuck with focusrite mainly as the UA gives me issues because windows.

Focusrite is sold stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez S970CW
    Rig: 6505+ Head and Cab

I just upgraded from the UR12 to the UR44c and it's fucking solid. If you have usb 3 available that'd be a solid contender. There's also the UR22c which would probably fit the bill nicely too.
    "I'm really not going to change to something else just because SSD4 fucks with my ass right now."

- Rocka_Rollas

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 user, here. Can't say I've ever had an issue with it, or ever had a need to get something better.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I've used a Scarlett 6i6 for almost 8 years with no troubles. The current generation of these has some improvements over mine.

Rig: 6505MH

Focusrite Scarlett range is a good choice as has already been mentioned. If you have the extra funds the Audient iD4 or iD14 are also excellent choices for the money and IMO slightly better/higher quality than the Focusrite Scarlett.

ME: Jackson SL2Q MAH
    MA: Yamaha FG700S
    Rig: EVH 5150 III 50W

I just watches this OLA video last night and I think it gives you a good idea what you should be looking for an interface and why. Regardless of the products that he discusses.