Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Direct Bass : Think I have a tone I like

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  budda 
#1 ·

I'm biamping in the Fractal, with an SVT (SV Bass 1) and a JCM800 (Brit 800 #34). The second amp was a 5150 at first, but the direct sound was a bit fizzy with it. Instead of dialing it in (lol) I just thought... What would Lemmy do?

Also, playing bass cleanly is hard. I spent all day yesterday working on this track, and a big portion of it was getting the bass to sound good, and most of *that* was just me trying to clean-up my shitty performance :lol:.

#2 ·
Getting great bass tones is an artform, and I have discovered Im at finger painting :lol:.

I'll check out the clip after dinner. Do you have an x-over block to send the lows to svt and highs to the jcm800, or did I just miss that part?

#3 ·
The frequency response nature of the amp models themselves is enough crossover for me :)

I did try that, though, and it was pretty weak. I also tried dialing the lo/hi roll-offs on the cab sim blocks, also to less than stellar results. So, I decided to just run them as they come, and BAM. Sex was achieved :lol:

Also...

Attachments

#6 ·
I forget why I put them in there, I think to do the thing you're suggesting :lol:

I need to find a tutorial on running stereo output of this thing! Running both into the DAW and being able to mix between them would be awesome!

#8 ·
i have recently started down the road to a good filthy but solid bass tone for recording. I'm finding it much harder to get something that sounds goo laid down in a track vs something that just sounds good in the room/band mix.

#13 ·
Thanks! Not too bad... when I re-recorded this track, I used a Mk2C+ model, and I think it sounds a bit thinner than my "usual" Recto model. With the Recto model, it seemed to mix well back when I had the 5150 in there, where the CHONK of the Recto sat right where the 5150 fizz and covered it up, maybe :lol:

I think this weekend I'll be redoing it, I'll have to post up the whole thing next time :yesway:

#17 ·
I had to ZIP it (and I zipped it good) :yesway:

FYI, I only really have it setup for 2 scenes. 1 is just the SVT, and 2 adds in the 800. I think I was fiddling with the other scenes with more cabs and maybe the drive blocks on/off, but so far 1 and 2 are where its at :)

Attachments

#20 ·
I had to ZIP it (and I zipped it good) :yesway:

FYI, I only really have it setup for 2 scenes. 1 is just the SVT, and 2 adds in the 800. I think I was fiddling with the other scenes with more cabs and maybe the drive blocks on/off, but so far 1 and 2 are where its at :)
Well I'm all kinds of creamy now. Off to figure out the FractToolThing! THANK YOU!!!!

#23 ·
Here's some snaps of the settings, but I'm using essentially the same cab, an Ampeg 4x10, but with a different mic on each, and different hi/lo freq settings :yesway:

Also, I'm sure the GateExp is having a big effect of leveling things out, but I don't remember adjusting it much, just dropped it in before the split.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.