Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Studio Monitor dilemma, looking for some options here

959 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  HamBungler 
#1 ·
So I got home from work yesterday and fire up my KRKs only to hear the most gut-wrenchingly high-pitched/loud whine come from my right-side RP6 (it was a G2 so I'm surprised it hasn't shit out in its near 10 years of service to be honest). From what I've read the dreaded black adhesive inside of the speaker has more than likely become conductive and probably fried some components inside along the way. The tweeter's been giving me issues for a little over a month now anyway so I'm not too miffed on the speaker shitting the bed but that leaves me with a conundrum: I still have one good KRK that has no issues whatsoever at the moment and it would be cheaper as well as probably better in the long run to get a set of smaller monitors from M-Audio or Mackie (any other suggestions in this realm are welcome, don't need anything large since I'm usually mixing a podcast I work on).

The question herein lies: I still have one good KRK that I could potentially use for better bass response with a set of cheaper/smaller monitors but I have no idea how I would hook these up together. I know it wouldn't be the best 'sub' in the world but I think it could do an okay job sitting on the floor and use the smaller speakers for mid/high freq monitoring. Any and all advice here is welcome, I will more than likely go with a smaller set of monitors regardless but it would certainly be nice to be able to use the one good monitor I have left for at least something.

See less See more
#2 ·
You would need some way to send the low frequencies only to the one good KRK, and you'd have to sum the L+R low frequencies before sending them. Then you'd have to send only the frequencies above the crossover frequency to your new monitors. For all the expense it would take to do that, just buy nicer new monitors and get rid of the working KRK.

#3 ·
Is it possible to chain them together without the crossover? I don't specifically need low-freq routing to the monitor if I can just daisy chain them and call it a day. I thought of maybe using a receiver designed for powered speakers could maybe work in this scenario potentially but that would be excessively adding to the cost regardless. I'll keep exploring some outlets but I think you're right in that it might just be better to sell the working monitor.

#7 ·
Is it possible to chain them together without the crossover?
You could physically do that. But don't.

Let's say you add the KRK to your left side new speaker. Then you have two speakers on the left and only one on the right, so your stereo image is off. Your new speaker and the KRK would be out of phase so your left side would sound like you put a phaser pedal on everything.

There's no way to use that one speaker with a new pair without incurring a great deal of expense, and honestly even if you spend the money to make it "work" you're going to get very little (if any) benefit.

The KRKs are a sunk cost. You got ten years out of them, time to move on.

#6 ·
stay away from M-Audio!!! I had a pair of BX8s circa 2013 and they crapped out after a few months. Just recently had an interface of theirs that I had to return cause all the inputs clipped at 0 gain and the latency was laughable. Aside from that, they have notoriously poor customer service. I actually just tried to go to their getsatisfaction.com support page where you could see something ridiculous like 1 out of 1000 product issues getting responded to. This support page was up just a few weeks ago and now it seems to be "retired" conveniently swept under the rug. Fuck M-Audio!

But yeah, after those monitors shit the bed back then I replaced them with with a pair of ADAM A7Xs and have been happy with them ever since. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. Spend the extra money on a higher quality product and you won't be sorry. German engineering FTW

#8 ·
Gotcha, yeah I didn't even think about phasing issues otherwise I wouldn't have even entertained the thought haha. Thanks for the solid advice and explaining that to me. Its been years since I was in recording school so I'm not as sharp as I used to be but I'll more than likely just go for a decent new set. I liked the idea of the smaller Mackies at first but I've heard there's been issues with the newer ones so I started looking at the Presonus Eris speakers. I can get a pair of the E5's for under $300 and I've watched a few reviews saying they are pretty decent middle-ground speakers which is exactly what I'm looking for but if there's anything else I should take a look at I'd like to check em' out. I was curious about the smaller Adam speakers but from what I've gathered the smaller speakers tend to have more coloring to the sound compared to their larger speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.