New track: "Season of the Virus"

Thread: New track: "Season of the Virus"

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

New track: "Season of the Virus"

Check out my new Sonic Savage track, "Season of the Virus".

https://sonicsavage.bandcamp.com/tra...n-of-the-virus

Yes, it's basically Joe Satriani fronting Black Sabbath. So what?

I basically spent all spring on it, and it was a tough one to get right. The riff came to me right away, but I completely rewrote and retracked the melodies once and retracked the rhythms at least twice to get the sound I wanted.

Rhythm guitars are my '85 Soloist. That thing sounds fucking amazing with a Wolfetone Timbre Wolf in the bridge.

Leads are Soloist Jr. (with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge), except for the first verse, which I had to retrack with my SL7 (also with a Distortion in the bridge) due to a fuck-up I hadn't detected initially. This was after I had started trying out different pickups in Junior, so I couldn't use that guitar at that moment. Since I tracked the leads with Junior tuned down to C# Standard with 11-52 strings, for the first verse I just played the melody one string down on the SL7 with a 9-54 7-string set to replicate basically the same string gauges. You really can't tell the difference.

Amp sims are Neural Fortin Cali on the rhythm guitars and the solo, and Neural Omega Granophyre on the melodies and the breakdown rhythm part.

Bass is my Spector NS2000/5 through the Neural Parallax plugin.

Drums are SSD5 with a custom kit based off of one of the Deluxe 2 presets.

Although I tracked in Reaper, this is the first song I've mixed in Harrison Mixbus 32c. Mixbus replicates the workflow and sound of mixing in a real Harrison analog console, and the sonic difference was massive as soon as I dumped the WAVs into Mixbus. I found that I had to do much less tweezing to get a rich sounding mix, and I was able to get away with a lot less reverb.

I'm extremely happy with the way this mix turned out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

Love the bass and rhythm sounds in it. Riff is kinda Savatagey, in a good way!
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Love the bass and rhythm sounds in it. Riff is kinda Savatagey, in a good way!
    Thanks! It's funny, I hear the Savatage thing now that you mention it. They're absolutely not an influence on me. I was worried it was a little too much like Sabbath's "Time Machine", actually.

Y'know, the mix is probably a little dry. I think I'm going to add some more space into it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Dig it. Definitely hear the Savatage in there, which is definitely a good thing.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

This needs some more work. Turns out there's no amount of parameter tweaking that will make a Duncan Distortion give the lead sound I want. The '85 Soloist will be coming to the rescue.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Satriani style leads over Sabbath style riffs is *always* a recipe for greatness

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Satriani style leads over Sabbath style riffs is *always* a recipe for greatness
    Thanks! My hope with the Sonic Savage project is to release metal instrumentals that a non-musician can listen to and enjoy. Big riffs and big melodies, with a little shreddiness thrown in here and there.

Okay, I'm calling it finished. I reamped the melodies through channel 3 of Archetype Plini, which fattens thing up. I also went back to the stereotypical big metal SSD5 drums I used on the Molten Ghosts EP.

I'm not going to get any production business off of this, but it's close enough for homebrew rock 'n' roll.