Latency - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latency

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Related question... does the buffer size affect the sound quality? I can run my buffer down to 16, reducing my latency to ~4ms, but I don't want it to come at the expense of the audio.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP LTD H-207
    MA: Taylor 310
    Rig: Mesa 20/20

Unless you drop the buffer size to the point that you're getting pops, clicks and drop outs (which should be pretty noticeable) the buffer size should have no impact on audio quality.
    We're all musicians, still searching for our roots.

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: WTB BC Rich Warlock
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

Quote Originally Posted by Svend View Post
    Mac guy, so I never have recording latency anyway, but....
    Zing! I drank the poison for years too

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Emperoff View Post
    I've fought latency over the years and I'm pretty happy with my current system, so I can give you some tips. most of them you probably know but anyway:

1) I say it everywhere. What's the point of having thousands of dollars on gear and a massive computer bottlenecked into a 150$ ASIO interface. The ideal solution would be to get at least an RME Babyface Pro, but I've heard the Zoom UAC-2 interfaces have crazy low latencies as well. They are cheaper if you're in a budget.

2) Follow allong "audio tune" guides for DAW computers. There are plenty of them online and will teach you how to set driver priority to background resources, unlock parked CPU cores, disable certain settings on your BIOS, etc. Here you have a couple of them:
    DAW and SSD optimization | Cakewalk Forums
    https://www.steinberg.net/forums/vie...?f=198&t=74839

3) Use Latency Monitor (usually mentioned in the guides) to find the most conflicting drivers. Chances are, it will be Nvidia driver. It is the most conflicting process in real time audio that exists. You can get away with it if you have a good interface like an RME, but if you don't it's a damn chore. Get an AMD card. I was instantly able to go down to 16 sample buffer on my Audient ID22. With the Nvidia's I couldn't go below 128.

4) Measure RTL (round trip latency). Figures that reaper gives you are the reported values from the interface, but far from accurate and can be twice as high if not more sometimes.

5) Motherboards DO have latency as well. And not only if using their onboard chips. Most hardware review websites omit those testings but there's still a few that do it like Anandtech. It doesn't hurt to check their charts and look for a motherboard with low latency. It doesn't necessarly have to be expensive!
    Solid post! I totally agree with the interface philosophy. Converters are priority!

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I just thought it was odd that I'd be getting any latency with such nice specs.
    I have a pretty fast rig myself and got caught up on this mindset when running into latency issues. After some research I found out that great specs on paper don't always = great performance in practice. Especially if you haven't optimized/prioritized your system for audio production.

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    The default is at 8 x 1024. I reduced it to 4 x 512 and then to 2 x 256, but that was the lowest I lowered it, thinking that latency at that low was pretty crazy, considering my specs. For reference, the latency is 46 ms at 4 x 512 and the latency is 11 ms at 2 x 256
    When direct monitoring guitar with effects, amp sims, etc. I stay at 256 for 8.5ms latency. Anything higher than that and I start noticing delay from my guitar to my ears. I'd say take it as low as you can til you start hearing pops or crackles while playing then adjust up from there to find the sweet spot.

A few things you could do:

- set your energy plan to “High performance”:
    Start > Type “Control panel” > view by icons> Power Options > show additional plans> Select “High Performance”.

make sure your energy plan does not suspend your USB devices automatically. Click on “Change plan settings” > then click on “Change advanced power settings” > expand “USB Settings” and “USB Selective suspend settings” > Change it from “Enabled” to “Disabled” > Click “Apply” and “OK”.

-Disable USB Power Management:
    Start > Type “Control panel” > Device Manager

After opening Device Manager, expand “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” and double click on every USB item, unchecking the box that says “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” located under the Power Management tab. Not all items may have a power management tab, skip the ones that don't.

-Get rid of unnecessary background programs
    anti-virus and security software can eat up a lot of background processes. Turn them off or minimize the processes.
    Close all web search tabs
    If you do gaming, turn off Discord, Steam, etc. in the Task Manager
    Start> type "task manager" >from there you can see your most labor intensive programs based on the "CPU" or "memory" tabs.> Right click and "end task" on programs you aren't using> then go to Startup tab (at top)> these are the programs that start when you turn your PC on, click on and disable the ones you don't need running from the get go

-KILL CORTANA
    I actually don't remember how to do this one, and I know it's harder to do now since the most recent update. Just google it. If I find the "hack" I'll update this post.

-Monitor latency
    https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
    You can use this to monitor real time latency in Reaper. Might be useful to single out the plugins that give you issues.

-Double check audio buffering settings
    In Reaper go> Options>preferences> buffering> make sure the "auto-detect" box at the top is checked
    most everything else should be fine on default. Make sure thread priority is set to "highest". Behavior: I set this to "aggressive" which is middle of the road
    At the bottom there is a checkbox for Live FX multiprocessing. Here you can specify how many cores you want to process live fx. For me this is 12, so I set it to max at 12. This number will vary depending on your processor. Try setting this to your max and checking the box, hit "apply" then "OK". If that gives you issues, uncheck the box.

Might be redundant at this point, but also double check that your interface/DAW buffer settings sync up. Make sure your interface is slave to Reaper or vice versa. If using Reaper as master go Options> preferences> Device> check box at the bottom that says "allow projects to override device sample rate"

There's more than that, but I'm getting tired of typing I know how frustrating this seemingly small issue can be. If nothing in this thread helped, shoot me a pm and we could set up a time to talk it over on Discord or something.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by geoffshreds View Post
    Zing! I drank the poison for years too
    I'm glad someone noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend View Post
    I'm glad someone noticed it.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Hi guys. Thank you for all the advice, especially Emperoff and Geoff's detailed advice. I don't have time to do much today, but I did change the buffering to "1 x 128" as an experiment and that reduced the latency to 1 ms. If a single 128 buffer does not affect the audio (I can't hook up my audio interface today, but might have time tomorrow) and reduces the latency to 1 ms (which even without giving it a listen, I think 1ms should be acceptable), then that should be enough. But I can't really try today, so I'll use everyone's advice for reference as I try to get the latency to 0 ms (or close enough). I'll note, though, that the 1ms latency I'm seeing might be bigger than that with a CPU-intensive plug-in on a project with, say, 10+ tracks.