Latency - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Latency

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

If you have 10 tracks of CPU intensive stuff, you may be better off tracking with some of the effects disabled when you're actually recording anyway. 15 different reverbs may be essential to your final mix, but you can definitely track clean guitars without them and then turn all that shit back on when you mix.

I tend to track stuff as cleanly as possible so I can hear it before I ruin it with effects.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Svend View Post
    If you have 10 tracks of CPU intensive stuff, you may be better off tracking with some of the effects disabled when you're actually recording anyway. 15 different reverbs may be essential to your final mix, but you can definitely track clean guitars without them and then turn all that shit back on when you mix.

I tend to track stuff as cleanly as possible so I can hear it before I ruin it with effects.
    Oh, 100% same here. But I'm testing out my much much higher specs and seeing what it'll allow me to do.

I did have some time to try to do something tonight, and I tried recording a clean signal on a project with 6 tracks with the buffer at 8 x 1024 with a supposed latency of 185ms but with the record monitoring off. Ironically, even though a latency of 185ms is ridiculously huge and I could see the recorded signal was slightly off of the previous proper signal I had recorded, they essentially matched up without my moving the newly recorded signal at all and didn't sound like a delay or a similarly shifted sound.

Still, for some bizarre reason, when I lower my buffer below 512, a really unusual bug happens where the mic icon and other icons just bizarrely flash on the lower right side of the screen non-stop, but only when Reaper is open. If I close Reaper, then the icons stop flashing and randomly appearing.

I'll probably just keep recording like I did on my much, much slower computer, but it is a bit perplexing.

ME: Jackson B7 CS
    Rig: ENGL Sovereign 212

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Hi guys. Thank you for all the advice, especially Emperoff and Geoff's detailed advice. I don't have time to do much today, but I did change the buffering to "1 x 128" as an experiment and that reduced the latency to 1 ms. If a single 128 buffer does not affect the audio (I can't hook up my audio interface today, but might have time tomorrow) and reduces the latency to 1 ms (which even without giving it a listen, I think 1ms should be acceptable), then that should be enough.
    Not only 1ms latency is totally acceptable, it's just too good to be true. Measure Round Trip Latency and find the truth

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

1ms is absurd. Really, anything below 10ms is what you're aiming for. I get about 6.5 ms on my system that's inferior to yours and I can't hear any difference.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Yeah, if I remember correctly, anything under between 8-10ms is imperceptible anyways. My roundtrip latency runs at about 4.6ms I thnk it was (running an RME FireFace 800). You should be able to track with record monitoring on every time. On the flipside, I always track things as dry as possible and add intensive plugs later, but I've never had any issues with projects with 100+ tracks either, so YMMV.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    Yeah, if I remember correctly, anything under between 8-10ms is imperceptible anyways. My roundtrip latency runs at about 4.6ms I thnk it was (running an RME FireFace 800). You should be able to track with record monitoring on every time. On the flipside, I always track things as dry as possible and add intensive plugs later, but I've never had any issues with projects with 100+ tracks either, so YMMV.
    I usually start out recording everything dry, but generally when I record with plug-ins is after I've finished recording every part of the song except maybe the vocals. So generally it's a "finished" recording that I'm changing parts to, adding new parts to, or re-recording previous parts. In the old days, I would wait until after I recorded vocals before adding any effects, but I really can't record vocals very well in my new apartment (mainly because I'm afraid of bothering the neighbors, the room next to mine has a newborn baby and the room above mine has a 1 year old, not to mention several more families with 1 to 5 year old kids. Makes me very paranoid about trying to record vocals, so I've just been writing lyrics and vocals but not recording them).

And yeah, I did have 1ms, but when I plugged in a guitar Saturday night and tried with those settings, there was tons of popping and clipping with the drums, and also there was that bizarre flashing icons bug I mentioned, so I returned it to 8 x 1024 and thought I'd try again from there when I actually had time to work on it. I'm too busy with work today to test out the latency, but hopefully either tomorrow or Wednesday I'll have time to try some stuff out.

ME: Swirley Shirley
    MB: Shine POS
    Rig: SLO & Roadkill 2x12

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    I usually start out recording everything dry, but generally when I record with plug-ins is after I've finished recording every part of the song except maybe the vocals. So generally it's a "finished" recording that I'm changing parts to, adding new parts to, or re-recording previous parts. In the old days, I would wait until after I recorded vocals before adding any effects, but I really can't record vocals very well in my new apartment (mainly because I'm afraid of bothering the neighbors, the room next to mine has a newborn baby and the room above mine has a 1 year old, not to mention several more families with 1 to 5 year old kids. Makes me very paranoid about trying to record vocals, so I've just been writing lyrics and vocals but not recording them).

And yeah, I did have 1ms, but when I plugged in a guitar Saturday night and tried with those settings, there was tons of popping and clipping with the drums, and also there was that bizarre flashing icons bug I mentioned, so I returned it to 8 x 1024 and thought I'd try again from there when I actually had time to work on it. I'm too busy with work today to test out the latency, but hopefully either tomorrow or Wednesday I'll have time to try some stuff out.
    Can you disable inputs you aren't using?

I run at 64samples with no dropouts. Can't remember what the latency is but it's something around 4ms if I have other inputs enabled it goes up.

A friend has a behringer interface which has crazy low latency.

Also wifi/ethernet cards on my experience aye the biggest causes of latency spikes.

I don't even use monitoring when recording these days though I built a buffered splitter so I can record miced amps and di at the same time.
    Last edited by Toe-Knee; 08-03-2020 at 05:44 PM.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    https://toboy-diy.blogspot.com//

Also if you want a link slapping on there shoot me a PM