"Humongous Wall of Guitars..." - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Humongous Wall of Guitars..."

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

I've usually ended up with the mic (a 57, always, in my limited experience) sitting roughly where the cone and cap meet, so maybe 1-2" off center. Maybe I'll play around with this more going forward. And, i forgot all about that Ozzy record, that was a great guitar album.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

The 57 in the middle sucks. I prefer 45 degree about half way between dust cap and edge and 2-3 inches off.

Then I bought a ribbon mic and holy shit does it sound sooooo good centered on the speaker about 5 inches off.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    I've usually ended up with the mic (a 57, always, in my limited experience) sitting roughly where the cone and cap meet, so maybe 1-2" off center. Maybe I'll play around with this more going forward. And, i forgot all about that Ozzy record, that was a great guitar album.
    Same here, FWIW, and I suspect you and I go for VERY different sounds.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Same here, FWIW, and I suspect you and I go for VERY different sounds.
    You might be right

ME: ESP E-II V-II
    Rig: Kemper and Marshall

that really is the best position. you're pretty much guaranteed to get a tone that's decent, if not fantastic. in recent projects i've experimented with other mics and positions, but i still put a 57 where the cap and cone meet as a fallback in case i end up not liking the other tone. sometimes i even get lucky and the 57 blends in really well with the other mics i've put up!
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Centre of the cap sounds absolutely fucking horrific for high gain. Anybody who professes to get good tones here is recording light crunch at the most. Also the proximity effect of being right on the cloth tubs up the mids and can cause all kinds of phasing, particularly with multiple mics.

1" off, on the edge of the cap, and sometimes off axis if it's particularly fizzy, is always the best starting point. If it sounds bad there, it'll sound bad everywhere, and you need to use another speaker within the cab.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    Straight down the centre is quite a well known technique, I've done it before with an M160 and it worked well and I know all of Josh Middleton sounds are done that way, mainly with a single 57.

I think it's one of those things where you can only try it and trust your ears rather than what you 'think' it would sound like.

I remember years back, Russ Russell posted a picture on the Sneap forum of his mic'ing for a Napalm Death album which was four mics on a single speaker. He got vilified by all the knowledgeable internet contributors that 'this can't sound good', 'no, that won't work' etc But ultimately, have any of them recorded albums for At the Gates, Dimmu Borgir, Brujeria, Samael, Evile, The Wildhearts etc? Sometimes, something works because it just does.
    It's not so bad there these days, because it's frankly fucking dead, but generally speaking it was always a case of; if you're not doing exactly what Andy does, you're doing it wrong. I mean go figure, it's the Andy Sneap forum, but they've got absolutely no scope for anything outside of 5150's, Mesa OS cabs and SM57's.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: ESP E-II V-II
    Rig: Kemper and Marshall

My favorite moment there was when everyone asked him how he got the tone on Tempo of the Damned because it was so good, and then gave him shit when he told them he used EMG-HZs for the pickups. He was like, "you just said you really liked the tone, so what's the fuckin' problem?"

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    My favorite moment there was when everyone asked him how he got the tone on Tempo of the Damned because it was so good, and then gave him shit when he told them he used EMG-HZs for the pickups. He was like, "you just said you really liked the tone, so what's the fuckin' problem?"
    I'd argue that, by the time you're drowning the guitars in gain, that pickups have far more to do with feel than tone. Microphones simply reinforce the effect; even if you think you can hear a difference in the room, you won't hear it in the control room when recorded. I feel I have pretty good ears, but that goes out the window every time someone posts one of those pickup shootouts with back to back recordings. And after all of that, you have to consider that a killer guitar sound in the mix probably sounds like garbage by itself. I've met tons of players who say, "I just can't get my sound out of a Recto," because they never played one in a band setting. It really is the worst bedroom amp on the planet.

So, pickups, strings, and power tubes are all in the same bucket. Pick the gear that makes you not think about it when you're playing. It's hard to quantitatively describe, since everyone is different, but EMG Hz feel stiff and unresponsive to me. I feel like they are not responsive to my playing at all, have no dynamics, and always feel like I'm having to work harder than I should. An 81/85 set is the exact opposite, where I feel like everything is jacked up to 11 and if I breathe on it it's all attack. As a brand, their guitar pickups absolutely do not work for me, even though some of my favorite recorded sounds feature them.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.