"Humongous Wall of Guitars..." - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Humongous Wall of Guitars..."

ME: ESP E-II V-II
    Rig: Kemper and Marshall

Agreed. Unless the pickups are very, very different from one another, the difference is very small. I recently tracked an EP and did a shootout between a Duncan Distortion and EMG 81. Surprisingly small difference and again, was more in feel than tone. The Distortion felt more aggressive, while the 81 was more rounded off. Thought the Distortion sounded better in isolation but the 81 sounded better in the mix. It's still worth it to shootout pickups prior to tracking because that 5% is enough to pay attention to, but it isn't going to be a massive difference in the high-gain realm.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

The only pickups I used that flat out didn't work for high gain recorded were the Wolfetone Dr Vintage. They're A2 magnets and around 7.5-8.0K, so they absolutely would not compress at all. They just didn't work for metal, even though they sound fantastic for clean and crunchy tones.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    I've usually ended up with the mic (a 57, always, in my limited experience) sitting roughly where the cone and cap meet, so maybe 1-2" off center.
    Co-signed. The best recorded guitar sound I've had was an SM57 and Royer 121 right next to each other, with the SM57 on the right side of the cone edge, and the 121 just to the left of it, closer to the center.

Having said that, man I'm getting older now and with a family comes certain sacrifices, so finding IRs that sound the closest to the live speaker cab have become much more a priority for sure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    Agreed. Unless the pickups are very, very different from one another, the difference is very small. I recently tracked an EP and did a shootout between a Duncan Distortion and EMG 81. Surprisingly small difference and again, was more in feel than tone. The Distortion felt more aggressive, while the 81 was more rounded off. Thought the Distortion sounded better in isolation but the 81 sounded better in the mix. It's still worth it to shootout pickups prior to tracking because that 5% is enough to pay attention to, but it isn't going to be a massive difference in the high-gain realm.
    Dig that comparison. The last time I played EMGs I absolutely could not get a tone that inspired me, but I didn't try recording with them. Did a song with the Jackson SL2 I had earlier this year that was loaded with Distortions and really dug it. But, more and more I've gone for what sounds better in the mix than in isolation. Not really sure I still love the Imperiums I have in my Franken-7, but they mix really well with the Custom I have in the H7...
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.