"Humongous Wall of Guitars..."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Humongous Wall of Guitars..."

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

"Humongous Wall of Guitars..."

L6 sent out their latest blog post, coming from Michael Bienhorn, who refers to his mixing in one aspect as creating a "humongous wall of guitars" then they cite the bands he's produced, including Soundgarden, Aerosmith, Ozzy Osbourne, Hole, Korn, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I'm not sure I think of any of those bands when I picture "humongous wall of guitars", but YMMV...

One thing that stuck out to me was:

I have always preferred to position the capsules right up on the speaker grill, dead center on the speaker cone, because thatís where all the definition and presence are. As you start to move away from that it tends to muddy the sound up a little bit.
    Another interesting thing he said:

And Iíve found that with a 4◊12 or a 4◊10 cab there are usually no more than two speakers that are good. Typically, there will be one that sounds great, one that sounds really good, and the other two are just meh or even bad. Once in a while there will be a cabinet with only one good speaker, and then Iíll have to determine whether itís going to be better if I just pick a single mic and live with it, or if I want to use two mics on that single speaker.
    Here's the whole post.

What do you think?
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ô - Iím not just a member, Iím the President.
    Donít expect much, itís not like Iím a rocket surgeon.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

There's no right or wrong...

It all depends on what sound you want for a certain song/album/band/project.........................

Case by case!

ME: ESP E-II V-II
    Rig: Kemper and Marshall

I generally agree with him about the speaker quality thing. I know in my Engl the top two speakers are meh, bottom right is good, and bottom left is fucking incredible. Disagree with him about the mic position thing, though. While that position can sound great, sometimes a tone is asking for the mic to be put somewhere else.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I'd think with the mic positioned on axis and dead center, that you'd have to apply a shit ton of post EQ to make it sound decent. However, if he's using a 421 or a ribbon mic (121 or 160), then I agree that they sound better close and centered. A 57 in that position wouldn't be good.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Straight down the centre is quite a well known technique, I've done it before with an M160 and it worked well and I know all of Josh Middleton sounds are done that way, mainly with a single 57.

I think it's one of those things where you can only try it and trust your ears rather than what you 'think' it would sound like.

I remember years back, Russ Russell posted a picture on the Sneap forum of his mic'ing for a Napalm Death album which was four mics on a single speaker. He got vilified by all the knowledgeable internet contributors that 'this can't sound good', 'no, that won't work' etc But ultimately, have any of them recorded albums for At the Gates, Dimmu Borgir, Brujeria, Samael, Evile, The Wildhearts etc? Sometimes, something works because it just does.

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Isn't that Yngwies practice set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I've heard LOTS of different people say that if you audition all four speakers of a 4x12, you WILL have a preference. I haven't done this in years, I've just gravitated to one and stuck with it, but I should probably do it again. But, yeah, that's pretty standard.

As for close micing a speaker right on the cone? Eh, depends on the amp, depends on the mic, depends on the sound you're after. For me, with a SM57, a V30, and a Recto, this is too bright. It might work for aggressive rhythm tones with my Mark, though. A ribbon or something darker, however, could very well work right on the center.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

This was the song that got me into Ozzy right after I started playing guitar. That’s what I call a wall of guitars, despite the producer involved. (In this case, it was Beinhorn)

The guy’s got a hell of a lot more cred to his name than I do and most likely ever will, so I have a hard time challenging his opinions. I know in my case, I’ve never put a mic in the center of a speaker and heard a good sound come from it, but I’m limited to experience with a 57 and an e609.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.