Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell

Hey fellaz!!!

My sincere apologies to those who were put off by the bluster of the original posts in the thread.

Certainly even metal guitarists must be smart enough to realize I was sensationalizing a fictional animosity towards individuals unfortunate enough to have chosen the instrument.

HOHOHO.

It was never originally designed as a serious "tutorial". It was a series of(hopefully) funny posts which were intended to answer a question about rampant frequency dependent dynamic swing problems some chap from Argentina(?) ran into when he attempted to record some heavy distorted drop-tuning guitars.

Then, quite horribly, after about a 1/2 a year of posting on this one thread... it inexplicably turned into some kinda crazy "General AE bootcamp" mission which usually had me posting at 4am or some god-forsaken hour... trying to answer all sorts of questions which were germane to wherever the thread was wildly and tangentially leading us.

It never occurred to me that after all was said and done... and the original post site which hosted the whole god-forsaken mess was kaput, that people I have never met or had any contact with to this day... would collect the sum total of those threads... take out everything but my content(which I'm not even REMOTELY suggesting was the best content in those threads), and jam them up on the internot for all to er... admire(ahem).

No biggie.

I will say this.

Very little about my opinions(however uncomfortably expressed) on the subject matter has changed in my estimation.

Pretty remarkable(to me) as it's been 6 years or so, and I usually find myself changing my mind about anything else under the sun every 23 minutes or so.

No matter. Happy to be here amongst the enemy(as it were), and glad to defend or explain my "rants" to anyone who would be interested in such an explanation or defense.

In any event. Sorry for the sudden(and belated) intrusion and best regards and wishes to all.

SM.
    Last edited by Slipperman; 06-23-2009 at 02:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Welcome. Please stick around, some of us don't even bite.

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
    Hey fellaz!!!

My sincere apologies to those who were put off by the bluster of the original posts in the thread.

Certainly even metal guitarists must be smart enough to realize I was sensationalizing a fictional animosity towards individuals unfortunate enough to have chosen the instrument.

In any event. Sorry for the sudden(and belated) intrusion and best regards and wishes to all.

SM.
    Wow, great to hear from you, SM! Honestly, I think most of us read your sarcasm and fictional animosity as just that, and it was a very good and funny read. If you want to continue to post info on this stuff, feel free; we've got a number of fairly knowledgeable guys (and a bunch of newbies like myself) who would love to hear your insight and debate with you on the finer points of your experience and beliefs.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I tried reading it but was overwhelmed by the wall of text

ME: Conklin GTG7
    Rig: Atomic 212

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Crooks View Post
    Please stick around
    This.

ME: Ibanez s7420
    MB: Cort A6
    Rig: Carvin/Rocktron chameleon

This part:

First: Lets look over some critical 'dirt guitar' EQ ranges and how they affect the myriad of choices/possibilities we might wish to examine in our undertaking. Bottom to top.

20-45Hz. Never say never. Just say rarely.
    50-90hz Ahh the madness. Here's the 'swing' range in our 'chugging'.
    100-150 Bottom of the meat.
    180-240 Lo-Center of the meat.
    250-320 Hi-Center of the meat.
    340-650 Danger Will Robinson. Top of meat/Bottom of mids. CRITICAL.
    700-900 More danger. Hard to hear. Kills 'newbies' on contact. Will explain.
    950-1.2k Pure Satan. Make or break ya. Easy to hear. Hard to control.
    1.3k-1.6k Ditto the above.
    1.7k-2.2k Top of the mids/Bottom of pick attack range. Oh, the fear.
    2.3k-3.1k Middle of pick range. Picky de poison. Mucho Satania.
    3.2k-4.2k Top of pick range. Pick out a nice coffin. Yer gonna need it.
    4.3k-6.5k Bottom of fizz. Add Beefeaters for gin fizz. Guzzle many glasses.
    6.6k-8k. Top of fizzy. Many will kill this range ruthlessly. Careful. Can O' wormies.
    8k-10k Road to hell. Paved with good intentions. Enjoy. Not.
    10-15k Less obvious road(s) to hell. Gravel. Lose a windshield up here.
    15k-25k Same disclaimer as 25-40Hz. Can you say 'sometimes bandwidth matters'?

WhaddaWeGot? 17 ways(freq. ranges) to kill yourself?
    has been a great guide in setting up my chameleon so do stick around

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
    Hey fellaz!!!

HOHOHO.

It was never originally designed as a serious "tutorial". It was a series of(hopefully) funny posts which were intended to answer a question about rampant frequency dependent dynamic swing problems some chap from Argentina(?) ran into when he attempted to record some heavy distorted drop-tuning guitars.

Then, quite horribly, after about a 1/2 a year of posting on this one thread... it inexplicably turned into some kinda crazy "General AE bootcamp" mission which usually had me posting at 4am or some god-forsaken hour... trying to answer all sorts of questions which were germane to wherever the thread was wildly and tangentially leading us.

It never occurred to me that after all was said and done... and the original post site which hosted the whole god-forsaken mess was kaput, that people I have never met or had any contact with to this day... would collect the sum total of those threads... take out everything but my content(which I'm not even REMOTELY suggesting was the best content in those threads), and jam them up on the internot for all to er... admire(ahem).

No biggie.

I will say this.

Very little about my opinions(however uncomfortably expressed) on the subject matter has changed in my estimation.

Pretty remarkable(to me) as it's been 6 years or so, and I usually find myself changing my mind about anything else under the sun every 23 minutes or so.

No matter. Happy to be here amongst the enemy(as it were), and glad to defend or explain my "rants" to anyone who would be interested in such an explanation or defense.

SM.
    Hey Slipperman - somehow I never noticed your post here until now. Thanks for dropping by, man - I was absolutely floored when I first found that a couple years back, and I still refer to it every so often when I'm looking for inspiration. Thanks a ton.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Hey Slipperman - somehow I never noticed your post here until now. Thanks for dropping by, man - I was absolutely floored when I first found that a couple years back, and I still refer to it every so often when I'm looking for inspiration. Thanks a ton.
    Ehem:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew from June of 2009 View Post
    Thank you kindly, Matt.

Reading this shit REALLY makes me want to finish up the fucking demoing and get to work recording in earnest.