Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Incredible guides to mixing metal - MUST READ

56K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  RimantasB 
#1 ·
#4 ·
i actually read the high gain guitar one last night!

i wish i had the gear to record myself and get a better idea of how all this works.

can anyone suggest a decent setup for recording guitars (mic'd cabs not pods or axe fx) and give an estimation on total cost?

#9 ·
Just look on ebay. I scored a Presonus Firebox for $108 used! (I got super lucky) SM57s are all over the place. At most, $100 new, but they pop up everywhere from craigslist to ebay. If you went all used, you could probably get an interface and a SM57 from 200-250 bucks.

Reaper isn't exactly free either. There is a free full-functioning demo of it that never expires, so on that hand it is free. They don't believe in crippling their software, so you can use the demo forever with full function. I used it for 97 something hours before I just bought the license for like $50 bucks or something.

EDIT: Thanks for the links Nolly, I'll check them out tomorrow. Going to the Rockies season opener right now though! GO ROX!

#10 ·
Reaper isn't exactly free either. There is a free full-functioning demo of it that never expires, so on that hand it is free. They don't believe in crippling their software, so you can use the demo forever with full function. I used it for 97 something hours before I just bought the license for like $50 bucks or something.
I thought the demo was only for a month :scratch:

That's what the description eludes to on the site.

#14 ·
Kinda thought I did a decent job of explaining that in my post :lol:
Inorite? :wub:

By the way, if you see an SM57 going for cheap, be sure to check it's not a fake - they are some of the most widely faked mics out there. If you search Google there are a ton of sites that show you how to spot a copy from the real thing.
+1. I would recommend just buying it new from a reputable dealer, not from some dude on eBay. It will last you forever if you take even the most basic care of it.

#22 ·
props to Ermz. This guide is absolutely fantastic. I'd been turned off any kind recording advice because I thought Slipperman's guide to recording distorted guitars was a heap of shit and a massive waste of time to read. I certainly would have ignored this guide if it used the same writing style. But Ermz sticks to subject at hand, balances very nicely between a high-level overview and more specific advice, and he is extremely thorough.

I would have killed for a resource like this back when I was starting out mixing. Absolutely worth the money.

#25 ·
thanks! but this....this doesn't make any sense to me @_@

"You simply bring up your overhead tracks, and zoom right in until you can see the transient hit of whichever drum you're correcting. Now pull up the close-mic track of that drum, and nudge it back in time until it roughly aligns with the overheads. Note, this won't be perfect, because nothing is perfectly in phase with drums - but simply getting it closer should give you a larger sound. Repeat this for all your drums, and you should find a sound that is immediately more deep and dimensional, and creates a much better starting point for you in the mix."

Especially in SD2 @_@

#26 ·
Wow, I definitely need to get this book o_O.
I am from Ukraine and a lot of interesting stuff comes to us with delay. But here is the thing, even after being born in USSR some people here really do a good job. I understand that the level of understanding in Europe and US is much higher, thus, I wanted to ask you to tell your thoughts, whether mixes of this sound engineer are good according to "western" understanding or not:

MUSIC | Yury Kurgan| Sound Producer

Is it worth to use such local studio services or not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.