Metal Guitarist Forums banner

The (free) VST Amp Sim thread

Tags
amp sim vst
95K views 104 replies 35 participants last post by  liongboba 
#1 ·
Noticed some people asking about these and thought its own thread wouldn't be a bad idea.

Poulin
LePou Plugins
SoloC = Soldano SLO
Lextac = Bogner Ecstasy
Lecto = Mesa Rectifier
Hybrit = Marshall
Le456 = Engl
Legion = Original design

X50 = Peavey 5150
X30 = Engl e530
BOD = Sansamp
They also have a Very nice Tubescreamer

This is the best vid of the X50 I could find, this is NOT the current version of the plugin, the current version you can switch tubes 6550, kt88, 6l6, or el34 AND change the bias etc.

Nick Crow Lab
https://sites.google.com/site/nickcrowlab/

Acme Bar Gig
AcmeBarGig - Affordable and Free Amp and Cab Modeling Suites & VST Effects
I can't say I use these often, but I do have a bunch of VST's from them just in case i'd need them for something and they don't sound bad, I just prefer the TSE and Poulin stuff. You can download a whole bundle of Acmebargig VSTs here:
Shred 1.0 :: Free VST Amp Suite | AcmeBarGig
(Actually, this is the new one I don't have and am downloading now :lol:)

(Skip to 2:50 into vid to hear)

Ignite Amps
Guitar Amp Modeling • View forum - Ignite Amps
These are all original amp designs (to my knowledge) I also like their Tubescreamer because of the extra controls, but I think the TSE sounds better (matter of apples and oranges).

AuraPlug
AuraPlug VST PlugIn Site
Just found this company, they've got a bunch of freebies and their non-free products are very cheap, they've got one amp and a BUNCH of pedal clones, including a (free) whammy, and they also have a RAT (not free). :yesway:

------------------------------
Using amp sims in Reaper
Make sure you are set to Asio driver or you will more than likely have very bad latency issues.

I'm going to make this as easy and simple as I can.

FX List (top to bottom)
1)TSE 808 is the Tubescreamer, this is optional but I recommend it to tighten things up, I don't use much gain, actually the gain is usually on 0 or 1, but the level is almost full and the tone is tweaked to my liking.

2) This is where the actual amp sim head goes, in this window i'm using the TSE X50.

3)Impulse loader, I recommend the newest LePou loader, you can load many different impulses and A/B them to your liking. I often mix two different cabs with one cab at 80% volume, the other 20% volume.

4 & 5) This is where I like to put my EQ and Compressor, these are optional of course

6) Noise gate, I recommend this because these (as well as PODfarm etc) often create a lot of unwanted noise.

Hearing your playing:
See that red arrow I drew? Click that button right beside it (looks like a speaker to me). You will now be able to hear your own playing on that track. Click it a second time to only be able to hear yourself on that track while the track is armed for recording, and click a third time to turn it off. I highly recommend clicking it twice so you don't forget to turn it off when you record multiple guitar tracks.

Once you've done this, you're all set. Just tweak your settings to your liking... there is a LOT of stuff to fool with and tone experiments are always fun. :metal:

Heres another pic for good measure

Here is a clip of some of these VST amps/Impulses:
http://soundcloud.com/7slinger/superfreakdemoiii

Not my best work to date, but the guitar tone sounds fairly decent.

See less See more
10 4
#52 ·
I didn't elaborate on the ASIO driver.... once the UX is installed and plugged in, when you switch Reaper(or just about any other DAW) to ASIO it should automatically recognize the Line6 unit, and you won't have to have up PODfarm or anything either. I bought the Metal Shop in PODFarm, and while I don't mind owning it.... I never use it, I always use the Poulin or TSE stuff.

#57 · (Edited)
Got an Apogee jam for Christmas and I'm just getting around to playing with it, so I'm pretty new to this. I downloaded some LePou and Ignite VSTs and I have those working fine, but I can't figure out this impulse shit for the life of me.

Edit: Nevermind, figured out how to get LAConvolver up and running, but now where do I get the actual impulses? My friend sent me a bunch but he's on windows and they appear to all be DLLs, which I don't think will run on my mac?

#58 ·
Got an Apogee jam for Christmas and I'm just getting around to playing with it, so I'm pretty new to this. I downloaded some LePou and Ignite VSTs and I have those working fine, but I can't figure out this impulse shit for the life of me.

Edit: Nevermind, figured out how to get LAConvolver up and running, but now where do I get the actual impulses? My friend sent me a bunch but he's on windows and they appear to all be DLLs, which I don't think will run on my mac?
Impulses are wav-files. Get some here, courtsey of 7deadlysins: http://www.osirisguitar.com/lepou-the-king-of-free-amp-sims/

#60 ·
Bumpage!

I hate bumping old threads but this thread is very relevant to a thread I would have started so might as well do it in here.

I am VERY / completely new to impulses. I have always use pedalboards for my recordings but what I have doesn't sound as good as I want and I don't want to get rid of it as I use them all live.

I want to use my Engl powerball but am unsure how to use cab sims.

I have miced up my cab before and the impulses I have tried sound NOTHING like it. soooo much bass and flabbyness, making it pretty much unusable.
I have no idea what im supposed to be doing with cab sims so dont really know how to get it sounding good.

I cant even get my amp to play through it when recording. Is there even a way to do this?
Im running cubase 5 if thats useful info?

#61 · (Edited)
Bumpage!

I hate bumping old threads but this thread is very relevant to a thread I would have started so might as well do it in here.

I am VERY / completely new to impulses. I have always use pedalboards for my recordings but what I have doesn't sound as good as I want and I don't want to get rid of it as I use them all live.

I want to use my Engl powerball but am unsure how to use cab sims.

I have miced up my cab before and the impulses I have tried sound NOTHING like it. soooo much bass and flabbyness, making it pretty much unusable.
I have no idea what im supposed to be doing with cab sims so dont really know how to get it sounding good.

I cant even get my amp to play through it when recording. Is there even a way to do this?
Im running cubase 5 if thats useful info?
if you want a ENGL kind of sound you can try out amp sims like lepou le456 and tse x30. for cab sims & impulse u can use catharsis IRs, ALU's Sperimental pack. All of these are free. you can also buy redwirez impulse packs or recabinet 3. try using and blending multiple impulses.

cab sims simulate the sound of a actual miced cabinet and there is a way to use your amp with vst cab sims. though i have never done it as i dont own a real amp. so i'm not 100% sure how to connect the amp head to the audio interface but it's actually possible. i think you have to take out a 1/4" cable out of your amp's fx send and connect it to your audio interface's input (but i repeat : i dont know if this is the right method!) :scratch:.

anyway, once you connect the head you can insert a cab sim vst like lecab2 or recabinet on the track you are working on in cubase and then click on the little orange monitor icon to enable it. now you should be able to hear the amp head+cab sim playthrough sound.

#71 ·
^ nice!

I used to use BOD, but I've come to prefer Ignite's SHB-1 for bass. That thing is killer!!

Audio Plug-Ins

Also he has some unique parametric EQ's a tube preamp sim.

I've also read that Lepou's Lextac is not only good for clean guitar, but good for bass as well.

#83 ·
Well I must say the Baron sim kills any of the others I have tried and I have used many.

It was an immediate good tone.

I did like the Randal "Ola" sim at first but after a few minutes i noticed it was very mechanical and un-natural sounding.

I only tested with EZ drummer so it could be different in a real mix but for me, so far.

Baron for the win!!!!

PS I am facebook friends with the real Beezow haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.