NMD Pt. Deux: Yamaha HS80M's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NMD Pt. Deux: Yamaha HS80M's

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

NMD Pt. Deux: Yamaha HS80M's

These things are fucking huge - I knew they'd be bigger than my Truth 2030A's, but now that they're on my desk, it's almost comical.

They sound great, however. They were (IMO) quite a bit more present than anything else I was A/B'ing them against, definitely had that upper-mid peak thing going on, but the mixes I was listening to on them (Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, Devin Townsend's Terria, and then one of mine and one of Chris's) seemed a little more defined and intelligible on them - individual parts seemed clearer.

Ended up just trading the RoV in for these - not an amazing deal, but it's been sitting in my hall for two years now, no one seemed too eager to bite, and it was basically instant gratification + not having to deal with the trouble of shipping it or selling it to some stranger locally.

I've been listening to mixes since I've got home, and it's pretty amazing to be able to, you know, actually hear my bass guitar.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Having spent about an hour or so in Guitar Center with Drew A/B/C-ing these against the Rokit 8s and a set of Mackie's, these definitely sounded the best. If they weren't twice as expensive as the R8's, I would have picked them up as well.

Fantastic sounding monitors.

The irony, we concluded over nachos, is the greatest monitors in the world won't make much of a difference if younever use them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

Get those baby's isolated and the clarity a ton. Either get some monitor stands or atleast some decent iso pads.

Which Mackies were you comparing them to out of interest? I remember the 824s they had at uni and they always had a great sound to them, but I always personally preferred the Genelecs they had (hence why I own a pair myself)

MR8's, I think.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

The Mackie's sounded very, very similar to the Rokit 8's, they were just $100~ or so more apiece, iirc. If it were between those two, I'd get the R8's. If price wasn't an issue, Drew's Yamaha's slay them both.

Pulled up a few mixes from my infamous half-finished album tonight, and jammed along while tweaking them a bit. The real test will be how they translate, but I certainly feel like it's easier to hear what's going on, definitely in the low end but also throughout the rest of the spectrum. Cool.

Also, new monitors don't make you automatically start pulling off better takes.