Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Post pictures of your setup(big or small)

82K views 165 replies 78 participants last post by  Madmardigan 
#1 ·
I got a few pictures of my modest setup. not the greatest pics but fuck it!

Gear includes, 4 api pres, joe meek twinq, tl audio tube pre's, distressor, 4 x fmr rnc, mackie 1640i, not pictured is my universal audio la-610

See less See more
#11 ·
Crooks just isn't posting pics because he has more grey hair than the last time. :crooks:

I'll get some of mine up as soon as I'm done with everything and the rest of my furniture shows up. The Omnirax that I picked up is fucking aces. :yesway:

#17 ·
#22 ·
Show us your home studio setup!

It's been a year and week since I started up a thread on ss.org getting people to post pics of their recording setup and it seems to have gone down well over there. I thought you guys might enjoy doing the same!
As well as posting pictures of your recording setup, it'd be cool if you say what you're planning on adding/upgrading. If you want to sing the praises of your favourite hardware/software then feel free to do that too!

So to kick things off, here is my setup:

So, we have:

iMac 27" i7, 12GB RAM, running Logic Pro 9
RME FireFace 400 interface
ADAM S3X-V monitors
Audient MiCO preamp (not in picture)
Axe-FX Ultra
Radial Pro-RMP reamp box
Shure SM7B and SM57 mics
Vovox and Evidence Audio cabling
Large plugin and sample library collection including full Stillwell Audio range, full Toontrack range, and Spectrasonics Trilian among many others
Two WD 2TB external drives for backups and large file storage

The monitors and interface are very new additions (got them a few days ago), and I can already tell they are going to take things up several levels. The monitors are mindfuckingly clear and "effortless" to listen on, and being able to hear low end clearly sub-60Hz is going to make judging bass content in my mixes much much easier (which will hopefully have a knock-on effect on the rest of the mix).
One of the most startling things was hearing how much audible improvement the interface has had over my old one (horrible Presonus Firestudio - avoid those things at all costs!). I hate it when people say this, but it truly was a "night and day" difference. I can't believe I put up with the old one as long as I did!

Next up is going to be some serious room treatment. I'm lucky enough to be working in an attic room that is completely fiberglass lined, which results in very absorptive walls. Moving up here from my bedroom (which had hard reflective walls) earlier this year has probably made the biggest difference to my mixes since getting my first pair of proper monitors (ADAM A7s).

So, over to you guys, let's see your setups!

#36 ·
ADAM S3X-V monitors
god damn it!
Moving up here from my bedroom (which had hard reflective walls) earlier this year has probably made the biggest difference to my mixes since getting my first pair of proper monitors (ADAM A7s).
A8X's currently... really pleased!

So, over to you guys, let's see your setups!

Room is crap, but it'll get better with some time and effort. Too lazy to so anything yet :fawk:

Another :bump:

Not the best quality pics, but you get the idea:
Still rockin' the KRK's eh?

#29 ·

i7920, 6Gb ram, 2x WD caviar blacks running Reaper and Sonar prod 7, S2.0, metal foundry, voxengo, stillwell, blah blah blah. External backupdrive (theres another attached to my backup PC as well).

Fireface 800. I like this, a lot, because it sounds great, totalmix is absurdly flexible, and it Just. Fucking. Works.

Pro40, ADATed to the fireface, outboard pres and back up interface.

Some guitars.

Some amps.

A7 and Sub 8.

Lots and lots of rockwool. Quite a bit of acoustic foam.

Littlelabs red eye.

FMR RNC.

A couple of cabs. The ubercab in particular is Godlike. I've never heard its equal. The orange is OK, gives me a different flavour if I want it, can place leads and harmonies in a mix a little differently.

Peavey TKO somethingorother - sounds surprisingly good, especially with a 421 infront of it.

Vox is just for practice.

Not pictured - headphones (ATHM50, HD25, Pro 750s), mics (AT4050, 2xsm57, i5, 2xNT1A, MD421, 2xSTC1, F14).

My gayass F14 is hard to get a good sound from, I intend to replace it with a D6, to begin with. I want to get a couple more pencil condensers, maybe more sontronics, they're seriously good for the money, so I can dual mic snares with a 57 (what I normally use) and an SDC to get more clarity in the top end, I've always got my eye on new comps (the only thing that I dont feel that Plugs have fully replaced the sound and feel of the hardware, except amps); been thinking about an EL8. Also want a headphone amp, 4 way, and some little monitors - for letting multiple clients monitor without using splitters (shite), and tracking on location (always a pain when there are just headphones around and everyone needs to take turns).

Intrigued to see exactly what Crooks wins with...shoooowww uuuuusssss! (though, too busy mixing is of course a completely unasailable excuse)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.