How-to: Basic Re-Amp with an Axe-Fx II and Reaper - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How-to: Basic Re-Amp with an Axe-Fx II and Reaper

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

"Make metal!"
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RGA8 UV7PWH 550 7620
    MA: Godin
    Rig: Axe Fx

great post!! Thanks Chris!

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

I noticed a bit of a difference between the wet and dry tracks the other night whilst messing with this. I wondered if anyone could shed any light, confirm similar outcomes, etc.

When re-amping the DI, it's not sounding quite the same as the wet recorded signal. It seems like the input from the DI is a little weaker. I've tried compensating for this by adjusting the trim on the DI going into my MOTU, but I can't seem to get it balanced; it's either too hot or too cold.

Chris, are you doing anything with the I/O levels on either your MOTU or the AFX? I tried messing with the DI:
    coming out of the AFX
    going in to the MOTU
    coming out of the motu
    going into the AFX

None of these seemed to work. I guess what I should try is sending the DI into the front input of the AFX, to see if that makes a difference. But any help or ideas?

I'll check the levels when I'm back home from work later, but, if memory serves me correctly, I think my DI from the AFX's Effects Loop is going into the DAW at around -12db.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

You definitely want to level match the dry signal. Cliff made a few posts about it over on the FAS forums. I'm at work, otherwise I'd check my settings at home.

ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Driftwoods and zilla

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    I noticed a bit of a difference between the wet and dry tracks the other night whilst messing with this. I wondered if anyone could shed any light, confirm similar outcomes, etc.

When re-amping the DI, it's not sounding quite the same as the wet recorded signal. It seems like the input from the DI is a little weaker. I've tried compensating for this by adjusting the trim on the DI going into my MOTU, but I can't seem to get it balanced; it's either too hot or too cold.

Chris, are you doing anything with the I/O levels on either your MOTU or the AFX? I tried messing with the DI:
    coming out of the AFX
    going in to the MOTU
    coming out of the motu
    going into the AFX

None of these seemed to work. I guess what I should try is sending the DI into the front input of the AFX, to see if that makes a difference. But any help or ideas?

I'll check the levels when I'm back home from work later, but, if memory serves me correctly, I think my DI from the AFX's Effects Loop is going into the DAW at around -12db.
    If anything it should be a little colder than that. Depends on the hardware. Some is calibrated to -12db being 0vu, some is -18. The former is generally found in US hardware, the latter in european and UK.

This is for real amps, but I daresay the same applies to the axe, or any amp modeller.

If youre going from too weak to overly distorted with seemingly no in between where it sounds basically the same as the real signal, that could be distortion in the DI. If you push past the 0VU rating of an analogue input, it distorts to some extent regardless of how hard youre actually hitting your peak meters in a DAW. That distortion does not fair well when fed into an amp; you get a weak signal with enough apparent distortion in the top end, but its kind of harsh and thin, or when it seems to be hitting the amp about right and youre getting the same sort of low end and compression you expect, it seems overly hot because the DI isnt completely clean and the amps distortion is stacking with it.

If thats what youre hearing, back off by about 6db on the DI and add clean gain from the DAW and/or interface to bring it up to level on the reamp out.

Good reamps should be expected to sound very slightly different to the direct signal, but only slightly. You can hear it in an A/B when youre really paying attention but its not a meaningful difference in real world terms. Most reamp problems, where theres some sort of obvious problem or major difference with the reamped sound, are gain staging realted.
    Last edited by MDV; 10-23-2012 at 03:25 PM.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    Good reamps should be expected to sound very slightly different to the direct signal, but only slightly.
    Spoken like a true politician, sir.

ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Driftwoods and zilla

Its true

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

Cheers, Mark. That's good general info. But I had already read that the AFX had its own levels recommendations. I'll check out the FAS forums. I was just being lazy and hoping to leech even more AFX help from Chris.