Song a Week Challenge, Season 1, Week 1
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 39

Thread: Song a Week Challenge, Season 1, Week 1

  1. #1


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: 7th plane of ethereal hell
    ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

    iTrader: 8 (100%)

    Song a Week Challenge, Season 1, Week 1

    Right, we've all dipped our toes in the water, done the pre season, eaten over xmas, and are now faced with the horrid bleakness of January. So, seeing as we have no money, we may as well use all the toys we've acquired and make some music!

    So, here we go, first proper season of the SAW challenge. We'll run until there is one standing, or until spring starts.

    The winner will gain the respect and admiration of all of us, a virtual imaginary crown made of gold guitars (or a crown of thorns made from the offcuts of strings found in the carpet (by feet) after restringing)

    Even if eliminated, you can still play, as it's good practice anyway. Or a good way to try it out.

    We'll run a bit longer for the first one, as it's just after new years

    Rules:
    1) Submissions by end of play 11th of January
    2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
    3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
    4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
    5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
    6) If you don't submit, you're eliminated (but you can still keep on submitting anyway as practice, this way the competitives get to be competitive, and the less so inclined still get to join in).

    We will not:
    1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
    2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
    3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
    4) Discourage anyone from participating
    5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
    6) Steal others work or ideas.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    So, seeing as we have no money, we may as well use all the toys we've acquired and make some music!
    Were you at my house yesterday? Seems like I had that exact conversation here after finding out how bad we blew our budget in December...
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

  4. #3


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: 7th plane of ethereal hell
    ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

    iTrader: 8 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Were you at my house yesterday? Seems like I had that exact conversation here after finding out how bad we blew our budget in December...
    Yes, yes I was, in a completely over the top creepy way. You have a soft nose.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Glasgow - Scotland
    ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    I recorded an album over the holidays so have that to mix after I add synth parts to it so unlikely I'll have any time for new songs but you never know!

  7. #5


    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    I was listening to Live the other night and got really inspired by a section in their tune, "White Discussion"...5 hours later and I had a few riffs and a chorus recorded. Started doing drums tonight, which is the biggest pain. There's not one drum MIDI I have that's working with these riffs, so I'm programming every single hit/velocity, one by one. Chances are, I'll find drum grooves/beats for the parts I haven't written yet and write to those instead of programming more drums. The last tune I did was 100% screaming, this one won't have any screaming...not the Randy Blythe style anyway. It's definitely got a 90's vibe with the guitars and whammy pedal abuse.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

  8. #6


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I was listening to Live the other night and got really inspired by a section in their tune, "White Discussion"...5 hours later and I had a few riffs and a chorus recorded. Started doing drums tonight, which is the biggest pain. There's not one drum MIDI I have that's working with these riffs, so I'm programming every single hit/velocity, one by one. Chances are, I'll find drum grooves/beats for the parts I haven't written yet and write to those instead of programming more drums. The last tune I did was 100% screaming, this one won't have any screaming...not the Randy Blythe style anyway. It's definitely got a 90's vibe with the guitars and whammy pedal abuse.
    Looking forward to hearing it. I never, ever used to write to drum lines till I started writing w/o a drummer and using loops and programming. Now I have a handful of riffs I love that don't seem to fit into any of the songs I've done simply because non of the loops or my own ability to program drums works with them...

  9. #7


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: 7th plane of ethereal hell
    ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

    iTrader: 8 (100%)

    I started this thread, and already am close to losing in the first week not managed to do anything at all so far

  10. #8


    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Looking forward to hearing it. I never, ever used to write to drum lines till I started writing w/o a drummer and using loops and programming. Now I have a handful of riffs I love that don't seem to fit into any of the songs I've done simply because non of the loops or my own ability to program drums works with them...
    Dude, I'm HURTING today from being hunched over my computer last night. The pain in my neck and shoulders jolted me awake.

    I have a few buddies who have asked me how I program drums so I think I'm going to make a little vid just going over the basics of it. If you've got the ability to write/edit in a piano roll in a DAW, you're good to go! Just don't do it for 5 hour stretches!

Similar Threads

  1. Song a week challenge: (Pre) Season 0, Week 3 (Final for 2018)
    By 7 Dying Trees in forum Music: Song A Week
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-02-2019, 12:23 PM
  2. Song a week challenge: (Pre) Season 0, Week 2
    By 7 Dying Trees in forum Music: Song A Week
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-16-2018, 04:13 PM
  3. Song a week challenge: (Pre) Season 0, Week 1
    By 7 Dying Trees in forum Guitar: Theory & Playing
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 12-12-2018, 03:46 PM
  4. Song a week challenge
    By T Gobbs in forum Guitar: Theory & Playing
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 11-30-2018, 09:22 PM
  5. A song for the season
    By Markus in forum General Music Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge