Thread: Song a Week Challenge, Season 1, Week 7 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread: Song a Week Challenge, Season 1, Week 7

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

My entry this week. If this song had a video, it would require Ola's kitten.

I've wanted to do something with my acoustic ever since T Gobbs' entry back in Week 5. A lot here that I'm really proud of such as the layering of the acoustic/keyboard/bass sections & the guitar solo. The solo isn't anything special since there's no pyrotechnics but I was able to write it in about a half hour and it has the best flow of any solo I've ever written so that's measurable progress for me. Normally I rely on piecing a solo together a measure or two at a time and (to my ears) it leaves the overall solo feeling a disjointed. Having this solo not feel that way (and land on notes within the underlying rhythm) makes me stoked. Gonna try to hit the distortion again this next week...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I admit I've been avoiding these threads because I feel like less of a man when I'm sitting here thinking "Man, I'd love to get in the studio right now...but I'm ready to fall asleep and I haven't even made dinner yet."

You guys have all been doing great work and you can tell how everyone is improving a bit more week after week at getting good, cohesive ideas fleshed out. I've never seen this happen on any forum I've ever been on, which is pretty cool in my book.

Tuesday night I went and listened to everyone's tunes from the previous week and started writing a rant about how I'm too tired and work, blah blah, but I turned around and turned my amp on and banged out about 8 pretty slick riffs in D harmonic minor. I've never really dug into my modes nearly enough so once I got this one under my fingers a bit better, I got pretty inspired. I have a nice easy day tomorrow and might bail out of work a bit early, just maybe I'll want to organize everything when I get home and bust out a drum track.

Regardless, excellent work everyone. Your guys' continued effort is definitely inspiring.
    Pretty much what it's all about for me. Listening to everyone's output has been cool because it's always surprising and unexpected since most users aren't posting their own music. I'll be taking the next season off, though.

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

I admit I've been avoiding these threads because I feel like less of a man when I'm sitting here thinking "Man, I'd love to get in the studio right now...but I'm ready to fall asleep and I haven't even made dinner yet."

You guys have all been doing great work and you can tell how everyone is improving a bit more week after week at getting good, cohesive ideas fleshed out. I've never seen this happen on any forum I've ever been on, which is pretty cool in my book.

Tuesday night I went and listened to everyone's tunes from the previous week and started writing a rant about how I'm too tired and work, blah blah, but I turned around and turned my amp on and banged out about 8 pretty slick riffs in D harmonic minor. I've never really dug into my modes nearly enough so once I got this one under my fingers a bit better, I got pretty inspired. I have a nice easy day tomorrow and might bail out of work a bit early, just maybe I'll want to organize everything when I get home and bust out a drum track.

Regardless, excellent work everyone. Your guys' continued effort is definitely inspiring.
    Thanks, Rev. I loved the submissions you made. Hope you dive back in next season.

Quote Originally Posted by scole View Post

Cool to see it stretching you - this seems like a great TV show soundtrack...

Pretty much what it's all about for me. Listening to everyone's output has been cool because it's always surprising and unexpected since most users aren't posting their own music. I'll be taking the next season off, though.
    I'm out next season, too. One more week to go on this, though.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

You know, you're right- it totally is some sitcom music. Hah.

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Quick Q, is there any kind of minimum length for song on this?

same same. Will be back for the next season but just can't find the time or energy to really put together anything cohesive the last few weeks.
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

ME: C-8 Special
    Rig: Jet City

Looking forward to hearing more stuff from you man!

I've wanted to do something with my acoustic ever since T Gobbs' entry back in Week 5. A lot here that I'm really proud of such as the layering of the acoustic/keyboard/bass sections & the guitar solo. The solo isn't anything special since there's no pyrotechnics but I was able to write it in about a half hour and it has the best flow of any solo I've ever written so that's measurable progress for me. Normally I rely on piecing a solo together a measure or two at a time and (to my ears) it leaves the overall solo feeling a disjointed. Having this solo not feel that way (and land on notes within the underlying rhythm) makes me stoked. Gonna try to hit the distortion again this next week...
    Was that a vocoder in the background? Whatever it was, it sounded super cool. Really dug the solo too.

Cutting it close, but I made it in!

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Quote Originally Posted by T Gobbs View Post

Looking forward to hearing more stuff from you man!

Was that a vocoder in the background? Whatever it was, it sounded super cool. Really dug the solo too.

Cutting it close, but I made it in!

Great work as always guys!