Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Song a Week Season 3: Week 1

4K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  891 
#1 ·
Here we go, season 3. The spirit again is to write a song a week. However, I'm changing the format a little. Effectively, we'll do 2 weeks for this first one, to see who turns up and allow for summer holidays

Instead of eliminations, we will work like thus:

We'll attempt to submit one song a week.

- The first scores you 10 points.
- The second in a week scores you 7 points
- The third, 5 points
- The fourth 2 point, and 1 point for every further song.

If you miss a week, you score 0 points, but, it allows everyone to keep playing until the end. It means people falling ill or ending up with heavy workloads don't get eliminated due to bad luck, and it also means people can start and join in whenever, and play a bit of catch up if they want. 10 points is an incentive to submit weekly, but if something happens, and it's late, you can still play a little catch up.

We'll keep a rolling tally all the way through to week 8, at which point someone will be rewarded with the coveted season 3 crown(*)

Rules:
1) All Submissions by end of play 23rd of August
2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
6) If you don't submit, you're don't score points.
7) Remember that quality outstrips quantity, don't just post up tons of rubbish to try and win, we're doing this to get writing, someone winning the coveted season 3 crown is a bonus(*)
8) Mixtests don't count, there's another forum for that (ss.org)
9) Submissions to be posted as soundcloud links

We will not:
1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
4) Discourage anyone from participating
5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
6) Steal others work or ideas.

(*) crown does not exist. Like the cake, it is a lie

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, this may or may not count as I started working on it last week when I thought we were starting then. No worries if it doesn't count.

What I'd really love is some mixing feedback.

What do y'all think? Do the two guitars and bass sit well with one another? Is there something I'm not doing I should be? Something I am I should stop? Please load me down with constructive criticism:

#4 ·
don't quote me on it, but i think the bass can come up a bit, also, as kicks aren't dominating the low end, you could probably give the bass more room there by bumpoing up the 70hz? The tip i got off Lozek was to bump 70hz and cut 120 for one, cut 70 and bump 120 for the other. Basdically, choose if weight comes from kick or bass, and then the other one provides accents as it were?

But it's sounding good dude!
No lipstick, no skirt, lol! I'm very new to the whole recording thing, but what the hell, here ya go!
I absolutely love the feel and drag of this! For some who's new to this recording thing this is awesome!

#6 ·
No lipstick, no skirt, lol! I'm very new to the whole recording thing, but what the hell, here ya go!
Dig it. :flex:
Glad you stepped out and put this together. It comes across on my end a tiny bit too hot, so maybe drop the master track volume a teeny bit before uploading to Sounccloud. Love the guitar tone and there's some really cool riffs going on. Looking forward to what else you come up with this season.

don't quote me on it, but i think the bass can come up a bit, also, as kicks aren't dominating the low end, you could probably give the bass more room there by bumpoing up the 70hz? The tip i got off Lozek was to bump 70hz and cut 120 for one, cut 70 and bump 120 for the other. Basdically, choose if weight comes from kick or bass, and then the other one provides accents as it were?

But it's sounding good dude!
Thanks 7DT, I'l play around with that, probably put the kicks at the 70 mark and the bass at the 120. I'm loving the way the Nazgul and custom Pegasus are blending. For the first time in a long time I'm not GAS'ing for any new equipment, just the ability to get more out of what I have. And, the SAW pushes me to do that.

I don't understand the rules but I wanna participate this time around :)
Simple: Write a song a week. Post it here. Most importantly, have fun jamming out while doing it.

I've been bummed you haven't been in on the previous seasons - especially with stuff like you did for the Metal Archives contest. :james:

#9 ·
Easy! write one song a week, then post it up! Doesn't need to be complete with vocals and everything, but if it is, boinus! The aim is to have fun and get jamming/writing without anyone ragging on stuff and to encourage everyone to get new iddeas down! I've found it very useful, not everything *by a long shot) i've done i still like, but some things I can work with and are keepers. Plus i had a blast :)

I've found it helps having a bit of pressure to just get it done, even if i do revisit it latrer, and change bits i don't like, i still have something to work with rather than nothing!

Would be really cool if you joined in, love your stuff and you're a killer player and an all round good dude!

rules wise, it's just a points total, for those who want to be competetive and to get everyone to keep it up, no eliminations, and after 8 weeks we'll see who has the highest score, and they win a kudos crown :)

#20 ·
Everybody here gotta be so heavy and dark all the time...:lol:

I'll bring some rocking 80s mood for ya'll!
:kip:

This song was quickly written and recorded last evening and edited the video this morning. :flex:

Enjoy!!!!

Here's the stupid "too kool for skool" style lyrics :lol:

You gotta go to school and turn into a fool
Is this the way you wanna live
You got this chance at life
So turn around the strife
And rock around the clock to tonight

Get up from your seat
And come on feel the heat
Reveal your inner beast
Your powers will unleash

Rock hard!!!
Defy the laws of time
Rock hard!!!
Rocking is not a crime
Rock hard!!!
You gotta do whats right
Rock hard!!!
No way to sleep tonight oh yeah!

If you are told that you
Can't rock because it's dumb
They're dumb as hell and your are not
You have the lust to rock
You gotta rock as fuck
Dont waste your time on stupid shit

#23 ·
Thank GOD for Rocka- Ced wins with songs like that. Are you kidding me?? I don't even want to keep working on my song after that. :rofl:

Seriously-I hope you're able to work out some sort of band situation because you write killer stuff no matter what.

#24 ·
Hahah thanks a lot guys :)

I write songs very often so I have lots of leftovers.
BUT I can assure you guys I will not just re-record old songs to cheat and spare time.
All songs for this challenge will be written every week :)

However I might write something I like "too much" and decide to keep for some other project.
Then I just write something new for the challenge :lol:

#33 ·
Really loving the entries, really struggling with life, work and mental health at the moment so I'll probably not get anything done.
Sorry to hear that Brutha - love your stuff! SAW isn't the same without your contributions.

#39 ·
Really cool - reminds me of some of the great stuff in the Minecraft game, like Ced pointed out it has great atmosphere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.